Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpicOfTheDevil
should run the extended wires thru back-bone, so the tank needs to be lifted...when i did mine i already had the tank off for a swap...i dig the idea of a coil relo kit, yet i rather do things myself when capable, and i'm sure you (story) and many other think the same way, even being something simple as cutting a rectangular piece of metal and drilling some holes on it...

ash16, it's that you ain't got the time...not much skill is required...you do need a grinder or dremmel with a cutting wheel, a drill, and some sanding paper
I didn't like the way I ran my brake line last week when I put my apes on so I decided to move it "real quick" yesterday. Tried to rush myself so I could get it done before I had to pick one of my three little girls up from school. Cross threaded my brake caliper with a stainless steel speed bleeder. Got brake fluid all over my garage floor to go along with the gas I spilled doing the tank last week. I wanted to get new calipers eventually anyway just not right now. I picked up a new Performance Machine 4 piston on ebay this afternoon for $250 shipped. That's what I mean by not having time or skill but I still like working on my own stuff and always have. Sometimes it just costs me more to do it.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ash16
That's what I mean by not having time or skill but I still like working on my own stuff and always have. Sometimes it just costs me more to do it.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on now guys I can do it if I wanted to but I was trying to see if we could get Kevin them to make us something that looks good and comes with everything we need. Not just for me but other softailers that would be interested in doing the mod.

Now I have a carb bike with the choke still coming out where the horn used to be??? Mikuni makes a choke cable to relocate the cable to the carb side I could do that?

Thanks guys every little bit of info helps and all great ideas, I appreciate all of them!

Mike... You riding with us Sat night? Thanks the the play by play instructions... Thats what I needed...

Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

lol...i learn by making mistakes, and only people who try can fail...makes sense?...i've made a mess a few times while working on my ride, but i tell ya the coil relo ain't hard...patience is a virtue that helps in many aspects of life...damn persistence of time

Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by story808

Mike... You riding with us Sat night? Thanks the the play by play instructions... Thats what I needed...
Prolly not bro, Saturday is my drinkin', porkin' and pukin' night....in no particular order....

Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DarkTrak
Prolly not bro, Saturday is my drinkin', porkin' and pukin' night....in no particular order....

TMI brah... A simple no would have done... LMAO Next time brother!

**** you're right I've just been lazy these days... lol

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Still in progress, but this will be mine. This was my first welding project ever. Don't laugh too hard!!!!!

Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SpicOfTheDevil
should run the extended wires thru back-bone, so the tank needs to be lifted...when i did mine i already had the tank off for a swap...i dig the idea of a coil relo kit, yet i rather do things myself when capable, and i'm sure you (story) and many other think the same way, even being something simple as cutting a rectangular piece of metal and drilling some holes on it...

ash16, it's that you ain't got the time...not much skill is required...you do need a grinder or dremmel with a cutting wheel, a drill, and some sanding paper
I like the way that looks. What length are your spark plug wires?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mark, I have mine mounted behind my splash gaurd. Only problem is when I dump the air on my air ride it pushes the coil into the swingarm.

Guess I need to look into this better this winter when I have it tore down....lol

Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
Still in progress, but this will be mine. This was my first welding project ever. Don't laugh too hard!!!!!

Yeah thats the kinda stuff we need... Now how does the coil cover mount to the bracket?

Hey Dust... How you doing brah??? You all healed up? Thats whats happens when you have a bike that drags on the ground... lol

Last edited by story808; 12-17-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???