Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Mind...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Mind...

I have one. For 2 reasons. Reasons being: "engine idle temperature management system". WTF? I read the threads on this and was wondering what bikes it came on and wondering if there are any videos of the bikes at idle with this system turned on. Secondly; I was riding home from crossfit last night and I noticed my red "alarm" light was on. Ya know, the little red key on the dash? So I stopped, shut the bike off for a second and re-started...The light stayed out for like 3 minutes of riding then it came back on steady again....any ideas? Seems to run fine...

Old 12-15-2010, 12:59 PM
firecwp
Tourer

might need to change the battery on your fob

Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

Originally Posted by firecwp
might need to change the battery on your fob
I thought that too but the whole ride to work today, no light...same fob and everything.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat management

I have the heat management system on my 09 Heritage. When the head temps exceed, I think it is 250 degrees, the rear cylinder shuts down both fuel and ignition. When it first activated I thought I had fouled a plug but a blip of the throttle brings it back on. On the softails it can be disabled by the dealer if you want. On the baggers I believe the owner can disable it. According to the dealer, he advised keeping it enabled with our high summer temps. Can't help you with the security light problem.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

So....I have an 09 Night Train...I have this feature?? Its automatic? The other threads say you have to roll the throttle forward and hold it for 5 seconds...?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:33 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it's commonly referred to as "parade mode" on baggers. It kicks the rear cylinder off, at a certain temperature (or the rider can turn it on by rolling throttle forward) as already mentioned.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:39 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Your bike has 3 cooling measures.

1) it will add more fuel when the temp rises
2) it will idle iteslf down when hot.
3) the EITMS will acivate if enabled

I believe this is the order in which your bike attempts to cool itself.

I have the EITMS turned off. It is a pain, and really freaks me out. Most of the maps that come with the SESPT have it turned off from what I have seen.
It is easy to turn off if you have the tuner software and cables.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

Im still lost here...how can I tell if I have this feature on my bike? I never notice and difference in the bike except a slightly higher idle when im in stop and go traffic but thats intermittent...

Last edited by DarkTrak; 12-15-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm giving you the 3 options your bike has. How are we to know if it is enabled, or if it is not?

As far as you red key light. If you have a security system, and you have your fob near your cell phone it will mess with the signal, but I don't know if that is it or not. What I would do if I were you is put your mind back together best you can, and do a search on how to retrieve error codes from the odometer. Yes, it is on the forum, search it out. it is winter after all.
Once you get this process, you will be able to verify if you have an issue, and quite possibly find out what it is.
That is my advice to you.

Last edited by editbrain; 12-15-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

Originally Posted by editbrain
I'm giving you the 3 options your bike has. How are we to know if it is enabled, or if it is not?

As far as you red key light. If you have a security system, and you have your fob near your cell phone it will mess with the signal, but I don't know if that is it or not. What I would do if I were you is put your mind back together best you can, and do a search on how to retrieve error codes from the odometer. Yes, it is on the forum, search it out. it is winter after all.
Once you get this process, you will be able to verify if you have an issue, and quite possibly find out what it is.
That is my advice to you.

Noted. I have searched. I have also tried the methods described in the threads for Diagnostic Troubleshooting. Both of which have netted me goose egg. Thanks for the vote of confidence in my forum diagnostic inquiry skills. oh and it may be winter where you're from, but its still 80* here every day. I'll keep hoping that some kind, gentle soul will bestow his wealth of knowledge on me.

Quick Reply: Blown Mind...