Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shadetree rear fender installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010 | 05:13 AM
Serafim
|
Intermediate

Here a pic of my bracket.
Shadetree rear fender installation-img00006-20101212-0858.jpg

Old 12-12-2010 | 06:57 AM
RNBONES
Road Master

Ok, yeah yours is different. keep me posted on how your install goes!

Old 12-12-2010 | 09:02 AM
CrossBonesChris
Intermediate

It was the October 2010 American Iron magazine that had the article. You can order a copy from them, not sure how long it would take to get to you in Brazil though. Chris

Old 12-12-2010 | 10:32 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Cool

I'm doing this "free hand". Curious about the fender moving around after a day of riding. This is how I'm attaching my xbones fender.

I'm hoping it will work!

Old 12-12-2010 | 01:56 PM
RNBONES
Road Master

The problem i'm having with mine is that the top mount bracket is a cupped hinge type that doesnt wrap smooth around the top frame. I cant tighten the 2 bolts down enough to keep it snug enough so with typical road and riding vibration the top mount will wiggle to the right after a good long day of riding. Kyle from Shadetree has since changed the top mount and i believe its a lot more snug. Your set up should be perfect. your U bolt are much stronger than what i have.
Originally Posted by JakesDad1
I'm doing this "free hand". Curious about the fender moving around after a day of riding. This is how I'm attaching my xbones fender.

I'm hoping it will work!

Old 12-12-2010 | 05:09 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RNBONES
The problem i'm having with mine is that the top mount bracket is a cupped hinge type that doesnt wrap smooth around the top frame. I cant tighten the 2 bolts down enough to keep it snug enough so with typical road and riding vibration the top mount will wiggle to the right after a good long day of riding. Kyle from Shadetree has since changed the top mount and i believe its a lot more snug. Your set up should be perfect. your U bolt are much stronger than what i have.
Thanks for the support. I have experience with using U-bolts, the flat bar will bend over time. Hopefully if that happends I can add some washers under the nuts and crank it down. I will find out next spring!

Old 12-12-2010 | 05:31 PM
RNBONES
Road Master

Yeah, you have the right idea! More pressure and better contact. I can't wait to see everything done!!!!!!
Originally Posted by JakesDad1
Thanks for the support. I have experience with using U-bolts, the flat bar will bend over time. Hopefully if that happends I can add some washers under the nuts and crank it down. I will find out next spring!

Old 12-13-2010 | 08:45 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RNBONES

How long have you had your fender?
I got one of his first kits... and it had the old "hinged" top bracket...
I also had issues with it...
I ended up getting his new bracket... (you can see it on his website)
It fits a lot better and is stronger

Serafim....
your bottom bracket is different than mine... mine looks like RNBONES...

How was your splash guard attached? do you have the single bolt hole?
you might have been sent the wrong bottom bracket... I know he is making these for different bikes these days..

*************I just went to his website and your bottom bracket does not look like the one pictured******************

CC

Last edited by Cheesecake; 12-13-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2010 | 08:44 AM
Serafim
|
Intermediate

Hi,

I bought the kit last month.
My splash guard was fixed using a single bolt.
I tried to contact Kyle several times, but he didnīt answered my emails. I realize that he send me the wrong bottom bracket, but here in Brazil will be easier and faster work on this bracket than send it back and wait a new one.

Yesterday I drilled a hole in the middle of the bracket and now iīm able to fix it using the slash guard hole.

My new question is : What is the better way to install the fender? Should I align and drill the fenderīs holes using the upper or bottom bracket first?

Thanks

Mauricio

Here I get a picture of the bottom bracket with the new hole

Shadetree rear fender installation-paralama-005.jpg

Old 12-14-2010 | 10:00 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Serafim
Hi,

My new question is : What is the better way to install the fender? Should I align and drill the fenderīs holes using the upper or bottom bracket first?
I started by creating the bracket for the top swingarm mount. Based on that fixed point, I was able to mark the hole for the bottom connection. Now that I am incorporating a sissybar, It is a juggling act what to attach first, so that the next bolt will go in. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Shadetree rear fender installation