Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam lope

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rail
You won't ever be able to get the "lope" out of twin cam that you did from an evo or shovel.. Idle needs to be 950+ to get proper oil flow.. The SE211 cam has a very distinct lope even at the 950+ idle but it's not a torque monster cam.. Still it's a lot of fun but needs a CR of 10.25 or better to realize it's performance potential..
my dads 2000 (carb)twinkie has the lope...and the high rpm is not for oil flow its to keep up with the fuel pump so it dont burn out

Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

only 2 suggestions so far , I'm hopin for some more 2

Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by DyNaBoB
my dads 2000 (carb)twinkie has the lope...and the high rpm is not for oil flow its to keep up with the fuel pump so it dont burn out
Any odd firing vtwin can be made to "lope"; we are talking about two different sounds. A cammed H-D engine with a little more than stock compression and a cam like the SE204 sounds completely different than a stock H-D motor idling at low rpms and making the potato-potato sound.

I think Darktrak is looking for a performance cam with a choppy hot rod lope, not a potato-potato idle; somthing like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sck5vW-1s9Y

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpl3g72rPcs

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z08uzVgawcA

The factory recommended rpm settings is also to keep charging the battery at idle.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 AM
DarkTrak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DB: that vid u posted, he also hacked his idle.

Dennyo: u and me both!

Everyone else: I know the difference between cam lope and low "potato -potato" idle. I want an aggressively staggered combustion cycle.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
DarkTrak
Road Master

Ooooh you beat me to it dj! Ur right! Vid #3 FTW! but that also sounds like higher compression too...each exhaust pulse hasore of a snap to it, ya know?

Last edited by DarkTrak; 12-09-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

By a shovel. You'll never get it out of a twinkie. The oil flow prob can be solved w/a new oil pump. Then you can decrease engine speed at idle w/ whatever the hell you computer nerds are talking about. Also for a radical cam you'll need new springs and valve reliefed pistons. THat will get you close. Also a carb conversion will help, give her just enough fuel to spark it.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lundee
By a shovel. You'll never get it out of a twinkie. The oil flow prob can be solved w/a new oil pump. Then you can decrease engine speed at idle w/ whatever the hell you computer nerds are talking about. Also for a radical cam you'll need new springs and valve reliefed pistons. THat will get you close. Also a carb conversion will help, give her just enough fuel to spark it.

I dont really want that "old shovel plopping along at 500rpm" sound. Just some more staggered exhaust notes...It's do-able, i have faith in that for sure. Just gotta find the right cam. On a seperate note, you dont have a video of your train idling with your flappers do you?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

My 203 has a much nicer lope than the stock cams. You can lower your idle speed, but remember a TC needs a certain amount of oil in the top end to lubricate it. Lowering your idle will lessen the amount of oil going to your top end.

Drew

Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkTrak
Ooooh you beat me to it dj! Ur right! Vid #3 FTW! but that also sounds like higher compression too...each exhaust pulse hasore of a snap to it, ya know?
I know; the other vids are duals and you won't get that sharp snap pulse from duals that you will get from a 2:1 pipe. Vid #3 is a stock 96" with SE204 cams. The 204 cams have an intake close at 34* with an 8* ground in advance which increases corrected compression and gives the exhaust note that sharp bite. You won't find many other cams that will idle like the 204.

Last edited by djl; 12-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
I know; the other vids are dual and you won't get that sharp snap pulse from duals that you will get from a 2:1 pipe. Vid #3 is a stock 96" with SE204 cams. The 204 cams have an intake close at 34* with an 8* ground in advance which increases corrected compression and gives the exhaust note that sharp bite. You won't find many other cams that will idle like the 204.
Good motherfuggin info!! Thanks bro!

Quick Reply: Cam lope