Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever put a Tour Pak on a Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Anyone ever put a Tour Pak on a Heritage?

I bought a Tour Pak and Detachable Rack for my Heritage. Not sure if it's just that I'm not used to it yet or what, but it seems to make the bike feel a little "Butt Heavy".

Anyone else with a Tour Pak on a Softail frame?

Trying to decide if I should sell it, or give it more time for me to get used to the added weight.

I'm wondering if the Touring Frames are better suited to the extra weight of a Tour Pak, or if I just need to give it time.

Another thing I was thinking was that maybe I needed to switch to Progressive 422's to better handle the extra weight?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I have one for my 03.... Looks goofy, but provides extra room....

Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Here are some pics of my brother's Heritage with matching tourpack. I think it looks pretty damn good. He really digs it...no complaints form Tulsa to Tombstone and back....

Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever put a Tour Pak on a Heritage?-img_0057.jpg   Anyone ever put a Tour Pak on a Heritage?-img_0088.jpg   Anyone ever put a Tour Pak on a Heritage?-img_0180.jpg  

Last edited by frontiercat; 12-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frontiercat
Here are some pics of my brother's Heritage with matching tourpack. I think it looks pretty damn good. He really digs it...no complaints form Tulsa to Tombstone and back....
Thanks, do you know if your brother has upgraded the shocks to handle the added weight, or is just running the stockers?

Most of my riding will be two-up with the Tour Pak. I'm about 215 and the wife is 135. With the added weight of the Tour Pak, just makes the bike seem really weighed down.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:49 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No issues with mine with shocks at stock settings. The TP only weighs about 25lbs and I think it has a cap of about 25lb or less but since I carry a 11lb chain/lock on roadtrips I'm sure I run it overloaded. Anytime you're carrying extra weight on the back whether a pass or a load the bike is going to feel different.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

Brother had stock shocks and he did adjust the shocks a bit before we left. He weighs maybe 180, and his wife never rides with him...

My Ultra, when fully loaded with bag, on the top of the tourpack and two-up too, it tends to feel a bit nose-light. Just a difference in riding style during those times.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 PM
sloppy joe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you attach a pic with it on your bike? I have the same bike, same color and curious how it looks...

Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sloppy joe
Can you attach a pic with it on your bike? I have the same bike, same color and curious how it looks...
Hey Sloppy, I've got it all boxed up right now because I was thinking of selling it. I'm having second thoughts though, and I might just keep it, if I do, I'll post some pics for you.

I like the looks of the Tour Pak on the Heritage, just trying to decide if I want to stick with the Tour Pak or go with a luggage rack and something like a T-Bag.

BTW, I went with the Leather Road King style Tour Pak.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frontiercat
Brother had stock shocks and he did adjust the shocks a bit before we left. He weighs maybe 180, and his wife never rides with him...

My Ultra, when fully loaded with bag, on the top of the tourpack and two-up too, it tends to feel a bit nose-light. Just a difference in riding style during those times.
Thanks, yea that "nose-light" feeling is weird. It's probably something I'll just have to get used to though.

Do you ever have a problem with control? Or maybe if it's raining?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TalldogsFatBob
Thanks, yea that "nose-light" feeling is weird. It's probably something I'll just have to get used to though.

Do you ever have a problem with control? Or maybe if it's raining?
Not at all. Weight transfer still happens while braking.

Brother and I got caught in the rain just outside of Ruidoso in the 'mountains', not a problem. Just slow down a bit and use more lane during corners...

I don't see any problems. Just a little learning.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever put a Tour Pak on a Heritage?