Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Buy Knowing This?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:55 PM
PearlWhiteGT
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would You Buy Knowing This?

I found a nice night train in a city about 4 hours away from me. Here is the description on the bike.

2008 Harley Davidson Night Train with a 103 c.i. Big Bore kit. This bike has plenty of power! Only 4900 miles, Vance and Hines 2 into 1 Big Radius exhaust (powder coated black to match black, Programmer, side mounted license plate, 2" lowering kit, black powder coated triple trees and lowers, HD slotted six spoke front wheel w/ new tire, chrome front end stabilizer, HD skull collection fuel gage and cap, HD Dark Custom Derby Cover, HD Black Diamond Collection hand grips, foot pegs, and shifter pegs;Blacked out brake/tail lights, Front LED turn signals, HD Softail Custom seat. This bike is in perfect shape and looks great with the blacked out theme! No scratches or blemishes on the paint! Over $20K invested. The bike comes with an Extra Large Harley Skull Leather jacket (paid retail price of $500 in 2009) as well as Male/Female HD hybrid helmets (retail was $250/helmet). Will be happy to email more pictures.

Now here is the catch, I had a buddy check the vin # & the color of the bike is Red. I asked the seller about it & he said that when he bought it from the dealer a year ago it was Grey. He had no idea that the original color of the bike was Red till he took it to a cycle shop to get it serviced. At that point they discovered it had been painted Grey. So he decided to paint it Harley Davidson black & do the all blacked out theme.

He sounds like a stand up guy but this kind of concerns me knowing that it has been painted twice already. What do you guys think? I have no idea why it was painted Grey. Could probably get it between 11K-12K.

Attached Thumbnails Would You Buy Knowing This?-night-train.jpg   Would You Buy Knowing This?-night-train-1.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it hasn't been wrecked who cares how many times it's been painted if you dig it ride it

Old 11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does carfax or similiar cover bikes?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:25 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

That kind of stuff always worried me. I spent over 10 years in the car business (sales/management) and a repainted car was always bad news. That may not hold true for a bike but I'd pass.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:30 PM
PearlWhiteGT
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
As long as it hasn't been wrecked who cares how many times it's been painted if you dig it ride it
I have no way of finding out if it has been wrecked before. I think I'm going to have to pass because it just doesn't sit well with me.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For future piece of mind I would look for another bike JMO.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

If you know anyone at your local dealer have them run the VIN. Your insurance company probably can too. If it hasn't been wrecked, go for it.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Adammit
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem with a painted bike. If my bike was red I would have wanted to paint it black too!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:52 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Agreed....if the price is right go for it !

Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd pass.....Something doesn't sound right. Lots of cream puffs out there to settle for something that there's a question mark around.

Quick Reply: Would You Buy Knowing This?