Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Starting When Warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard Starting When Warm

When the bike is cold I don't have a problem starting it. However, once it gets warm, it takes 2 to 3 tries. The starter kicks in, engine turns over but just keeps turning. Sometimes the starter will stop, start and the motor kicks over as soon as the starter kicks in again. A couple of times while starting I got a puff of white smoke from behind the AC. Also, when I park the bike in the garage after a ride, the garge smells like gas a few minutes later, indicating I'm running rich.

I spoke to my Indy about it and he suggested I disconnect the Fuel Moto PC and just go through the ECM and see what happens. I did that and the problem continues - no change at all. I let the bike idle for several minutes to warm it up, turned it off and tried starting it. I needed to push the start button anywhere from 2 to 3 times to get it to fire up.

Any suggestions what could be wrong? Oh, starter clutch replaced last winter and batter is kept on a tender. The battery is only a little over a year old.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Man,
I had that same issue on two of my bikes, with a world difference between them.
On my Ninja ZX6R it was the carbs needing of a clean with gummed stuff in the jet passes.
On my 01 FXST, it was the fact the bike was running too rich, once it was leaned out, this disappeared.
When I my Indy said he'll lean the bike out, I thought "what is he smoking, what does lean or rich have to do with warm starting?" but I'd be damned since he did that it has been 2 years with no issue !.

Now I know yours is Injected, but keep in mind that it maybe running a bit too rich.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Figstr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by klf33
Man,

Now I know yours is Injected, but keep in mind that it maybe running a bit too rich.

That's why I disconnected the PC in the hopes it would lean out going through the ECM only. It was still hard to start - no diff between PC connected or disconnected.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

My X-bones does that if its warmed up to a pretty good temp. If I just ran it and didnt really stop she starts alright but if its slow traffic it takes a crank or two to get her running. I dont think much of it... since she always starts... never smelled gas though that might be an issue.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Mine does the same thing, I also have a PC-V installed. Dynojet suggested not waiting for the light to go out. I bump it as sson as I flip the switch and it usually fires right up