Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a shorter kick stand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just use the stock one and use your head when you park,

Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said before if you're really careful you'll be ok but it's a small price to pay for the insurance. I had the lowering bolts when my bike fell over and the Shotgun Shock will get it even lower. With the stock stand it has very little lean an if the terrain is off it will set almost straight up. I ran over a year with no issues...just had to be careful where and how I parked. Pulled my bike out one day to take some good photos. My driveway has a slight incline so when I got off I didn't like the way it was sitting. As the thought entered my mind I reached for the bike. At that very moment it began to creep backwards, the handlebars turned and it began to fall. I had my hands on it but when it goes there is no stoppin it. I wanted to throw up! It broke my brake lever, scratched the mirror, and bent the exhaust tips (then had V&H BR) and I was lucky there was no paint damage. I had been considering getting a shorter stand because I was uncomfortable with the small amount of lean but just hadn't pulled the trigger. Do you think I regretted that decision?
Maybe other models aren't as bad as my Fatboy?
If you're careful and always find a completely flat spot or one leaning to the left (this isn't always convinient) you'll probably make it but my advice is to get a shorter stand to get the proper lean and you don't have to worry about it.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 AM
DevilDogg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my rocker slammed and now have airride....I've never replaced my stand.