Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Pick My Apes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:27 PM
X Black p3arl 7rain X
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Pick My Apes

Hey guys,

New to the forum, so I thought this would be a good first post. After going through countless threads, I finally decided to join. I also created this thread because I couldn't find help on the specific bars I am looking at.

I have a 2006 Night Train, and am going to put ape hangers on it. I am looking at 16 or 18 inch bars. The two bars that I found so far that I like are the Santee apes, and the Burly Narrow apes. If anyone is currently running these bars and could post comments or pics of them, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone else has any input on a good set of black ape hangers for a softail, feel free to comment, right now I am open to ideas.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, bars are a very individualistic thing. I don't have apes, yet. I'm still debating between sizes. Although, I'm leaning heavily toward 14" as I'm afraid 16" would be too tall. I can't imagine trying to go 18", though!

Anyway, between the two you mentioned, I like the Burly bars best. Just my taste.

Have you looked into BR bars? http://brcustomcycles.com/
I'm planning on going with them when I get my apes.

Another brand to recommend to you is Carlini.
http://www.carlinidesign.com/

But, again, these two companies tend to cater a little more to my design preferences.

Good luck with choosing bars. It can be a chore! But one well worth it.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 PM
CustomRKC04
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how tall are you because im 6'4" running 16" apes they on my Roadking and they fit me perfect. but the softail frame is a little different too so

Old 11-18-2010, 05:15 PM
chuckdizzle
Advanced

The Burly narrow bars are really cool looking on bikes with a 21" front wheel. The santee bars are just china crap, but they are cheap......Todd's cycle, LA Choppers, Cyclesmith also have cool looking bars, that are priced right and available everywhere.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
razorback84
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently in the same boat. I've decided on 14's, but I've tossed the idea of 12's around. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with HCC, but Santee along with Burly were on my list. If you look at Schaub85's bike he is running Burly Narrow apes and they look really good on a train.

Last edited by razorback84; 11-18-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: I can't Spell
Old 11-18-2010, 05:27 PM
X Black p3arl 7rain X
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. I am 6'1''. The reason I wanted 16 or 18 inch apes, is because my buddy has a 2010 street glide with 19 inch apes, and he's about 5'9'' and said he loves them. I sat on a wide glide with 20 inch apes, and while they were nice, they were just a little too big. I guess I will steer clear of the Santee apes, I was also looking at HCC, but they only have one set of black bars advertised. I also looked at RSD and R6C. I am not interested them due to the fact that I want an old school look for my bike, plus RSD bars are overpriced IMO. I also won't dare post the drags vs apes thread. I have been getting heat from buddies who say that drags belong on a train, but to me its just not comfortable. I want apes to match my extended controls which are about 6'' extended over factory. I want to just throw my arms and feet up and go.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 PM
AzDeuce
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'3" and running 14's with 1 1/2" risers on my Deuce (similar to the train)and the grips are a little above my shoulders.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 PM
X Black p3arl 7rain X
Advanced

Razorback,

I just found Schaub's bike, his bike looks fantastic. Thats exactly the look I am after for my train. I am quite positive I will go with the Burly's now after seeing his bike. Anyone have any input on cables? I know burly makes a kit, if I get 16 inch apes with 2'' risers, can/should I run Burly's 18'' extended cable kit?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a deluxe so it may be different. when I started lookin around, I wanted something that flowed with the bike. I looked at br, todds, cycle smiths and carlinis. I chose the Carlinis just because of the way they looked and the quality of the bars. Even in the stamp that is on the top part of the bars is top notch quality. Not tryin to sell you on the carlinis, but they just introduced the evil apes, and they look SICK. But in the end, they said it best its your bike, do your research and look at all the different styles out there. Im 6'5'' and I run 18 inch gangster apes on mine. I love em, and apes are the way to go Bro.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM
firecwp
Tourer

I have BR Custom swinger apes. I'm 6' and ride with 19" bars. I do wish they were slightly shorter as I ride with them tilted forward. IMO if you like the look of apes pushed forward go with the shorter of the two sizes. If not, go with the taller.
Next, for what you're describing, I'd go with Nash bars.
http://www.nashmotorcycle.com/index.php?id=parts

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick My Apes