Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone moved from Touring to Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010 | 01:50 PM
Seadweller
|
Intermediate
Default Anyone moved from Touring to Softail?

I currently own a 2008 Road King, which I acquired around 2 months ago. My previous bike was a Ducati 851, so it was quite a pendulum swing!

While I really like the Road King, I'm still finding myself wanting something a little "sportier." Has anyone gone from a touring bike to something like a Fat Boy, or Fat Boy Low?

From what I've read, it would be a significant downgrade in the ride department, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually made this transition.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2010 | 02:30 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

When I got back into riding after almost 20 years without a bike , in 2003 I bought a 04 Sportster R rode it for a short time and wanted a larger ride so i sold it and got a 04 RK Custom. It was a great bike . Rode better than my Fatboy but I did not feel "right" on it. So i got a 05 Fatboy Annv model and have not regretted it since. Had the bike for about 5 years and 40,000 miles and still love it.

To me the difference is the Fatboy you sit more into the bike the RK more on top of it. They are about the same in acceleration (same motor), some feel the RK is a better handling bike because of the rake and suspension. IMO I never felt much difference other than the ride is much softer / smoother on ther touring bike

Old 11-16-2010 | 03:19 PM
CustomRKC04
Advanced

I haven't switched from a Touring bike to a softail but since I used to work at a Harley dealership I have gotten to ride everything from a 47 knucklehead to all the new models and having riden so many bike I prefer Baggers but set up right a softail can be a very comfortable bike as well as having the better handling.

Old 11-16-2010 | 04:24 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Bagger to Softail

I traded my 07 Ultra for a Heritage. I just could not feel comfortable riding the bagger, with the fairing and tour pac it always felt top heavy and was difficult for me to manauver. Obviously the ride was nice and comfy but I didn't feel good. The Heritage for me is the perfect bike, I can manuver it around the curves, it rides comfortable and I feel confidant on it. I rode from Las Vegas to PA and back last summer, total of 5500 miles, and felt really good. No sore spots and the bike just purred down the road at 70 mph. I know it is an individual preference but for me the switch from bagger to softail was the best move I ever made.

Old 11-16-2010 | 04:34 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior

I sold my '07 street glide and bought a '08 softail heritage.

But then again I started on a softail... sold my '94 heritage to get the street glide.

I just prefer the ride of the softail, a bit more firm, tighter in the twisties and I think a better looking bike.

Old 11-16-2010 | 04:41 PM
Chief X
Former Sponsor

didn't switch but have both a street glide and a cross bones. both are great as far as i'm concerned. the bones handles better on curves (the street glide is an 07 so it's a little squirrely on fast curves) and the bones rides just as well as the street glide. i probably prefer the street glide however because of the radio, storage and ease for an old man like me to travel longer distances more comfortably.

Old 11-16-2010 | 05:15 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain

Never owned a touring bike but i love my Heritage, sure no radio or cruise but it rides great and can roll down any road i want to take it on perfectly for me. Try one out it may not be you, but doesent hurt to look.

Old 11-16-2010 | 08:09 PM
Phantomryder
Road Master

I owned a 2009 Street Glide but when my wife purchased her 2009 Heritage, I started to ride it while she was on the road working. I enjoyed it so much I traded the Street Glide for a 2010 Heritage. I like the balanced motor better than the rubber mounted motor. Got tired of the vibration as well as the noisy valve train. The ride of the softail is softer than the Street Glide. The street glide was so much more stiffer especially felt over bumps. I do miss the hard bags but after seeing softails with them, I probably looking to do that mod down the road.

Street Glide

2010 Heritage

Old 11-16-2010 | 08:22 PM
1995flstc
1st Gear
Default Roadking & Heritage

Have a 95 Heritage and a 2006 Roadking - both great machines but I'll take the king when going far.

Old 11-16-2010 | 08:33 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior

had a 1996 Ultra..
traded it for a 2000 Deuce...
as quick as I could.. traded it for a road glide...

I love the touring bikes... like the fairings, hate windshields...
love hard bags, hate the look of leather bags and lil tiny bags..

Quick Reply: Anyone moved from Touring to Softail?