Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone moved from Touring to Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010 | 08:35 AM
ajay450
Tourer

Originally Posted by Seadweller
I currently own a 2008 Road King, which I acquired around 2 months ago. My previous bike was a Ducati 851, so it was quite a pendulum swing!

While I really like the Road King, I'm still finding myself wanting something a little "sportier." Has anyone gone from a touring bike to something like a Fat Boy, or Fat Boy Low?

From what I've read, it would be a significant downgrade in the ride department, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually made this transition.

Thanks!
I owned a 2008 Electra Glide Standard. Now have a 2004 Fatboy(FI). Previously owned a 2005 Sportster XLC and a different 2004 Fatboy(Carb). I don't regret moving to a softail. I was never a tourer so the EG was overkill. The shaking at idle you get with the touring bikes is somewhat annoying but not a big deal. I like the lighter weight of the Fatboy. Not as much weight to manhandle when pushing it around, but that's not a big thing. As someone above said they are very nimble and I agree with that. The 04 FB I have now had only 6200 miles on it when I bought and it was very well taken care of. I've put a National Cycle heavy duty touring windshield on it and have the chrome lowers which virtually eliminate all wind turbulance/buffeting and this set up gives me the best wind protection of any bike I've ever owned. The Eglide with the fairing wasn't as good as my FB as far as wind protection goes. The FB's ride is a little stiffer but not significantly. The difference between the FB 88 5 speed and the Eglide 96 6 speed isn't very significant either to me. I usually never travel more than 65 mph the FB handles that no problem and with the Eglide it wasn't til 65 mph that I put it in 6th gear. I wouldn't turn down a 96-6 if the right buy came along and I was looking but it's not a deal breaker for me to go with the 88-5 that I bought. Also, I love the ergonomics of the FB. Best riding position of any bike I ever owned. Everything on the FB is just in the right place though I did put 4 inch risers on it.

Old 11-18-2010 | 08:44 AM
TCannon22
Tourer

Father in law has an 03 EG standard and I have an 04 Fatboy. We take lots of trips and while he never mentions letting me ride his bike to and from, once we get there he is always saying "why don't you ride mine for a while", especially when we go playing on twisty roads.. Took me once or twice to figure out what he was really asking was "can I ride your bike"...
Long trips, to and from, bagger is probably more comfortable. Fun factor to me would def go to the Softail.

Old 11-18-2010 | 12:14 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

Funny how baggers are stripping them down to be sporty (SG) and softies are loading them up to be more road worthy.

I have ridden both and own a Heritage. I may go with hard bags in the near future and will add a fairing soon to get tunes, but I like the fact that those additions are going on a bike that just fits me. I suppose that is what is important. You need a bike that fits. Your size, your style, both physical and riding style that is.

Ride them and see what fits.

Old 11-18-2010 | 01:21 PM
Seadweller
|
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. I haven't been able to pin down what feels strange to me, but I think some of you hit the nail on the head.

On the Road King, I feel like I'm sitting on top of the bike, and the sitting position is like sitting in a chair. The Fat Boy does make you feel more part of the bike, and your legs aren't at a 90 degree angle, again, like sitting in a chair.

I like the Fat Boy low, but don't want the anodized aluminum finish, and don't want to spend the money replacing it with chrome. I also need something that is very comfortable for 2-up riding, as my better half really likes the seat on the Road King.

I'm a little concerned that a Road King style seat would look goofy on a Fat Boy or Fat Boy Low. Sheesh, too many decisions have my head spinning.

Old 11-18-2010 | 01:56 PM
Soft422
Cruiser

Plenty of people switch from touring bikes to Softails but that switch does not get as much publicity for some reason. Interesting to note that more and more Softail owners are trying to make their Softail look like a bagger...adding hard bags and all of a sudden, developing a distaste for leather and studs, which have been a part of the Heritage Softail Classic, since its inception in 1988....23 model years ago...pretty long track record. I guess owners do those things because they can and apparently transforming a Softail to a bagger must be cheaper than just simply going out and buying a bagger. Each to their own, I'm leaving my Heritage alone...studs and all. However, this is the beauty behind owning a Harley...you can make into anything you want.

Old 11-18-2010 | 02:09 PM
ajay450
Tourer

Originally Posted by fcsallan
Funny how baggers are stripping them down to be sporty (SG) and softies are loading them up to be more road worthy.

I have ridden both and own a Heritage. I may go with hard bags in the near future and will add a fairing soon to get tunes, but I like the fact that those additions are going on a bike that just fits me. I suppose that is what is important. You need a bike that fits. Your size, your style, both physical and riding style that is.

Ride them and see what fits.
Boy, do I agree with that. The most important thing about a bike is that it fits. Nothing worse than having a bike you dread riding because it's not comfortable. One thing about HD's is that you can take a stock bike and make it more comfortable. They have a fair number of options to do that.

Old 11-18-2010 | 02:45 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Seadweller
Thanks everyone. I haven't been able to pin down what feels strange to me, but I think some of you hit the nail on the head.

On the Road King, I feel like I'm sitting on top of the bike, and the sitting position is like sitting in a chair. The Fat Boy does make you feel more part of the bike, and your legs aren't at a 90 degree angle, again, like sitting in a chair.

I like the Fat Boy low, but don't want the anodized aluminum finish, and don't want to spend the money replacing it with chrome. I also need something that is very comfortable for 2-up riding, as my better half really likes the seat on the Road King.

I'm a little concerned that a Road King style seat would look goofy on a Fat Boy or Fat Boy Low. Sheesh, too many decisions have my head spinning.
Lots of softailers have two seats. A low profile solo seat and a plush 2up touring seat. Used seats are often for sale on this site and new ones can be purchased from DrVtwin at great prices. Dont let a few hundred dollars keep you from choosing the right bike for you.

Rather then swap seats I got this C&C seat. It literally puts you down and back into the bike. Talk about a sporty feel and the sensation of being one with the bike. And it may not look like it, but it is a lot more comfy then the stock seat for rider and passenger. Once you try one of these style of seats your confusion will end.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone moved from Touring to Softail?-seat.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010 | 01:41 PM
bikefxds
Tourer

Wife and I just went from our 2009 Electraglide Standards to 2010 Softail Deluxes. Now it's fun to ride motorcycles for the first time in maybe 15 yrs. Been touring on baggers forever. Ain't sayin' I'd tour on a softail, but now I got something I can steer with my knees in town and I ain't muscling my ride every time I try to manuver it somewhere. Best thing we ever did.

Old 12-01-2010 | 02:54 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

I'm lucky! I've had a Softail Duece since '02 and I got a '11 Limited a few weeks ago.

Rode the Duece cross-country 5 times but when I got back this past year I decided the next trip will be on a Tourer, primarily for the storage capabilities of the bags. Never had an issue with the comfort of the Duece but packing for a three week trip can be a pain. There were days on my trip when I'd shower and simply put the same clothes back on (3 days max lol) because I didn't feel like unpacking to get to my clean undies and socks.

After putting about 2,500 mile on the new bike I can tell you the "cushy" factor is definitely there and a long trip will be a pleasure. It actually handles suprisingly well too once you get rolling. But manuevering around in tight quarters can be a chore. The thing weighs a ton! Even pushing it up my driveway, which is on a slight incline, is a bitch. The Duece was a piece of cake.

The two bikes are night and day different but they're both great bikes. I'm keeping both!

One of the biggest differences other than the obvious, and the Softail gets the plus in this area, is the solid engine mount of the Softail. The solid mount makes me feel more "one-with-the bike". The seat of your pants feels more connected to the throttle and the rear wheel and the bike just feels more solid.

I'm sure you'll love whatever bike you get.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-01-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2010 | 02:58 PM
jmd
Stage III
Default 01 RK to 10 Fatlo

Rode 2001 Road King for 9yrs. Traded for 2010 Fatboy lo 6mos. ago. Big difference, like going from SUV to Corvette. To me Fatlo is more fun all around to ride. Once it was broke in, it is very smooth, w/stage one, plenty of power, good mpg. RK was 95in.,mikuni...could only get 35mpg. Lo getting 46+, same or better power.

Quick Reply: Anyone moved from Touring to Softail?