Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spray Painted Primary Cover and Oven!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

agreed we would have charged ya 55 to do your primary cover bud

Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

looks great from that picture bro. nice job

Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRK5892
agreed we would have charged ya 55 to do your primary cover bud
good deal, i'll keep that in mind for the next thing i need blackened...

Old 11-17-2010, 05:54 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The amount of time needed to cure, is measured by the amount of heat that is constant. Like I said, If you bake it for 20-30 mins at 225, that will be more than enough for the paint to cure and attached to the surface. The other guys are correct you need to rough the surface up, then take it smooth with a finer grade paper, to take down the rougher spots and make it even all the way around. That way it will all look the same with no high, low, spots. Take your time makin sure to do the entire surface the same. It will pay off in the end and shouldnt chip if you do at least 3 coats with oven time. I suggest letting it sit for 24 hours between coats. Do one coat with heat, then let sit, then do another with heat, lightly sand before the last coat and heat, then sit for 24 hours, and you should be VERY PLEASED. Besides when you do something yourself, it makes you appreciate it more. Good Luck Bro, its gonna look good man.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing that has always worked for me is I heat the metal up slightly (just to the point you don't want to hold it long) before painting, as well as baking after.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
jtsteiert
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rquirch
Awesome, thanks... i put a couple of more coats last night and some more overn time. i only did 15 minutes at 200f... do you think i should just pop it in the oven again tonight?

this quote is going on my archive of DIY... thanks for the info. I followed the can's instructions and now it makes total sense. the can says either apply second coats after 5 minutes or 48 hrs... i didnt know why.

i have used the home depot stuff on some other things and it looked like asses IMO... i have used the krylon flat black or textured they sell at o'reilly or Autozone, that looks pretty good and hasnt chipped. the can said wait 15 minutes before force drying... thats what i did.

if it chips i'll do this... i only did 15 min
Im not sure baking it longer will help keep it from chipping, that's more of a surface prep issue not a curing issue, after all once paint is dry it is dry, you cant make it more dry, you know what I mean? If it chips it is for several reasons... Enamels are brittle and crack and chip easily. The paint wasn't bonded to the surface very well, increase the surface profile slightly and reapply the coating until you can no longer see the scratches, this should be done coat by coat as I posted yesterday. Getting in a hurry will only produce a finished product that looks like you hurried through it... Take your time and do it right and you will be happy with its looks. One more thing to remember is..Paint in spray cans is not designed for permanent long term fixes, its a temporary coating that is less durable, abrasion resistant, and will often lose it gloss or sheen faster than other coatings. For a more durable coating that will not chip as easily, will bond tighter, and look good longer then use automotive paints that are formulated specifically for what your trying to do.

Just my 2 cents....