Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjust Heritage shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010 | 03:45 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
|
Road Master
Unhappy Adjust Heritage shocks

WANT TO ADJUST THE REAR SHOCKS ON "09 HERITAGE.
GOT THE SPANNER TOOL FROM H-D BUT CANNOT GET A TOOL ON THE LOCK NUT. BOOK SAY TO ADJUST WITH BIKE ON JIFFY STAND BUT UNABLE TO GET PROPER TOOL ON THAT LOCK NUT. BOOK SAY IT CAME ADJUSTED FOR A 160 POUND RIDER. I BE 230 & RIDE ALONE SO SEEMS TO ME IT COULD STAND ADJUSTING BUT UNABLE TO GET PAST LOCK NUT. ANYONE HAVE ANY LUCK ADJUSTIN' THEM?

Ok & thanks, chordstrummer. You told me what I suspected I should do in the first place & go to the H-D Service Dept. or better yet,leave it alone
& like it.

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 11-12-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2010 | 04:30 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer

Not really going to help you, I'm afraid, but I can tell you that I WAS able to get an open-ended wrench on that damned lock nut somehow - so it IS possible. It was still a bitch because they were torqued on there real good from the factory.

I remember it was a major pain in the ***. Set mine to fully firm, and the ride is still very cushy, and I'm only 130 lbs or so.

Old 11-12-2010 | 06:13 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Been riding mine 3 years, 2up, 1up, loaded for bear, or whatever and have never felt the need to mess with the stock setting. And I've pushed 220 at times.

I say if you're not bottoming out, why worry about it.

If you can't get the tool in there with the bike on the jiffy, put it up on a lift. If for nothing else to break the jam nut free. Then if need be you can put back on the jiffy for the adjusting.

Old 11-12-2010 | 07:52 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

I took a length of 2x6 cut into 3, 8" pieces to drive my wife's Deluxe onto so I could get the spanner on the nuts. The third piece was for the jiffy stand to go down on.....

Trucky911

Old 11-12-2010 | 07:58 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

I put mine up on a jack, strapped her down and went at it. I think the jam nut was a 1 1/4 or so and I had to hold the shock with the spanner wrench in order to get it to break, but once it was free I ran it all the way out and then tossed that crappy spanner to the other side of the garage and used a strap wrench to spin the shock out. I ran it all the way to the jam nuts and then spun them each in about 1 1/4 tuns and locked them back up with the jams.

The bike rides MUCH MUCH better now. No more slosh in the turns with my 240 lb butt on there and a nice smooth ride when I ride with Momma and our gear.

The problem with adjusting it on the jiffy is that most 1 1/4" open end wrenches take a bit of room to get them in there.

Old 11-13-2010 | 09:08 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fcsallan
I put mine up on a jack, strapped her down and went at it. I think the jam nut was a 1 1/4 or so and I had to hold the shock with the spanner wrench in order to get it to break, but once it was free I ran it all the way out and then tossed that crappy spanner to the other side of the garage and used a strap wrench to spin the shock out. I ran it all the way to the jam nuts and then spun them each in about 1 1/4 tuns and locked them back up with the jams.

The bike rides MUCH MUCH better now. No more slosh in the turns with my 240 lb butt on there and a nice smooth ride when I ride with Momma and our gear.

The problem with adjusting it on the jiffy is that most 1 1/4" open end wrenches take a bit of room to get them in there.
thanks for the advice. I took mine to indy today, stealer wanted 65 labor, indy charged 31 for half hr and it was a pain for him but i gave him your instruction and he adjusted it for my 230 lb 1 1/4 turn out and the ride is must improved and cornering is better and the bike only drops about 1/2 in when i sit on it, was 1 1/2 before. i was thinking the tool would cost 12 and the wrench i would get at a pawn shop and have to cut it shorter and use a box end of another over it for leverage and a few scraps and busted knuckles. I would rather spend the $31 and be done with it.

Old 11-14-2010 | 06:10 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain

I also had mine done at the dealer...$45.00...it took the guy almost an hour to get the job done. I don't think the fellow had ever done one before so the dealer was somewhat kind to me on the labor charge.

Paul in Colorado

Old 11-16-2010 | 07:53 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

It takes me less then 10 minutes to adjust my shocks. I always do it on the jiffy stand and my bike is lowered in the rear. I cut the handle down on the open end 1-1/16" wrench. I never tighten the retention nuts past a snug fit. That way I don't have to fight to loosen them. The retention nuts have never come loose while riding. I don't know why HD uses loctite on them from the factory, since you are suppose to adjust them for various weight loads.
Tom

Old 11-16-2010 | 09:56 PM
Heritage632
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Been riding mine 3 years, 2up, 1up, loaded for bear, or whatever and have never felt the need to mess with the stock setting. And I've pushed 220 at times.

I say if you're not bottoming out, why worry about it.

If you can't get the tool in there with the bike on the jiffy, put it up on a lift. If for nothing else to break the jam nut free. Then if need be you can put back on the jiffy for the adjusting.
I also have had my bike a while (4 years). I weigh 260 and my wife 150 (you can do the addition...lol). We ride 2-up all the time. I've never had my shocks adjusted and have never had any issues other than the occasional bouncing. Don't bottom out hardly at all. Probably won't mess with them after hearing what a PIA it is!

Old 11-17-2010 | 08:09 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

When I bought my Heritage, I asked about how the shocks came adjusted from the factory.

Salesman said he was pretty sure they came from the factory adjusted for "max load". Most of my riding is two-up and they seem ok, I'm about 214 and the wife is about 135 (but don't tell her I said that).

I wish they were easier to adjust like on the Dynas.

Quick Reply: Adjust Heritage shocks