Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjust Heritage shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010 | 07:35 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Default Heritage Softail Rear Suspension

How well does the stock rear suspension works is determined by many factors.

1 - Rider Expectations
2 - Rider and or passenger weight
3 - Riding style
4 - Other modifications
5 - Road conditions

Rider expectations are very personal and it is the most important. Some riders have commented that a little bottoming and pogo sticking is just fine with them, and other feel that both are totally unacceptable.

Some 160 lbs riders, with aggressive riding style, have had to increase the preload to the max to get an acceptable ride, while 260 pounds want the softest plush ride they can get so no preload (stock) at all.

Lowered bikes and your in a whole new ball game.

If you live in a flat, warm state your roads are very different from the roads in a mountainous state with cold winters.

For me, (260 lbs - semi aggressive 1 up riding - stock ride height - crappy New England roads) the stock rear shocks had to be adjusted to the max preload possible to make the me feel comfortable & confident in the bike. I ended up swapping out the shocks for progressive 422s set at 50% preload.

Fred

Old 11-21-2010 | 12:12 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TalldogsFatBob
When I bought my Heritage, I asked about how the shocks came adjusted from the factory.

Salesman said he was pretty sure they came from the factory adjusted for "max load". Most of my riding is two-up and they seem ok, I'm about 214 and the wife is about 135 (but don't tell her I said that).

I wish they were easier to adjust like on the Dynas.
They come from the factory set at the softest/minimum load. If you look at the forward end of the shocks there will be approximately 3 to 4 threads showing. When the shocks are set to the maximum load there will be no threads showing.
Tom

Old 03-14-2011 | 12:36 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
They come from the factory set at the softest/minimum load. If you look at the forward end of the shocks there will be approximately 3 to 4 threads showing. When the shocks are set to the maximum load there will be no threads showing.
Tom
Tom, I know this is a little late, but just wanted to say thanks. You were right, looks like an adjustment is in order. With the wife and I and a Tour Pak, bike tends to bottom out.

Got the Harley adjustment tool, wish me luck.

Old 03-16-2011 | 08:17 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Got the Shocks adjusted on my Heritage. I guess I got lucky because the Jam Nuts weren't that tight. One thing I did to make things easier, was to jack up the bike and then used wood blocks to hold it up about 6" off the floor.

I needed a 1-1/16" wrench, but the biggest I had was a 1" so I had to use a big adjustable wrench, no way I could get the wrench in there with the bike on the ground.

Like Tom said, my shocks were adjusted all the way "in", or at the softest setting from the factory.

I usually ride two-up and I just bought a Tour Pak, so I adjusted the shocks 4-turns out. Max would be 5-turns.

Looking forward to trying it out when I can go for a ride.