Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Handlebar Control Kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Yancey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Handlebar Control Kit ?

I'm looking to replace the the OEM handlebar controls on my '07 Deluxe with ones that are chromed. There are a lot of chrome kits available other than the ones the HD dealer sells and some are very competively priced !
Anyone had any experience with or suggestions on which Chrome Handelbar Control Kits you would recommend to purchase ?

Old 11-10-2010, 03:06 AM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with the HD ones for my bike. It is hard to beat HD chrome!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 AM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Originally Posted by coronerrpm
I was checkin out your album, nice lookin ride. Kind of hard to see, did you use the chrome button covers too? Do they work OK? What levers you got?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by coronerrpm
+ 1.May be a little more expensive but worth it IMO.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:51 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

i went with custom chrome back in '02 & was never really happy with them. price was good, quality wasn't.
recently went back to the black oem master cylinder due to a bad leak on the custom chrome m/c & am happy to have a decent front brake again.

if i did it again, i'd get hd stuff.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one area I would highly recommend the HD parts. Nothing beats the HD housing design.
I had the switches too and bolts. After installing the chrome (really painted plastic) switches and chrome bolts it looked a bit much. I like the chrome housings with the black switches and black bolts.
Someone already touched it but dont forget the chrome levers too. Will look unfinished until you do the levers too.

Last edited by Reino_79; 11-10-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hellbent
I was checkin out your album, nice lookin ride. Kind of hard to see, did you use the chrome button covers too? Do they work OK? What levers you got?
Yea, did the button covers and switches. They work fine. Just a heads up though, it is a real PIA to do. If you are planning on swapping the bars "NOW" is the time to do it and not mess with the covers twice as I ended up doing.

BTW, Your avatar is going to town on that banana.

Last edited by coronerrpm; 11-10-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not afraid of aftermarket stuff at all.... But for the controls and buttons, the HD stuff is the best.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
firecwp
Tourer

I have chrome Harley switches and switch housing. However, I would never pay for the chrome clutch bracket and master cylinder resevior kit. Way too expensive. I have the Kuyrakyn Chrome Brake & Clutch Control Dress-Up Kit.
$330 vs $63 (ebay-free shipping) Here are pics installed: you decide

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/11/IMID/156

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Handlebar Control Kit ?-chrome.jpg  
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Vinish
Advanced

I am in the middle of a total handlebar, grip, switch, lever, and cable replacement on my '06 Heritage Softail. I got new bars from Flanders drilled for internal wiring. Bought new chrome switch housings, new levers, and new master cylinder from Demon Cycles for only about $150 and they look great. Bought new chromed plastic switch covers from somewhere online for ~$18. They are tricky to get onto the old switches but can be done with a suitable small dental style pick. The switch housings were perfect. The existing switches fit just right. I try to avoid original HD parts since I believe they offer no benefit over aftermarket parts and cost 2-10X as much. Ran all the wires inside the bars. Moved my turn signals from the bars to the lower windscreen bolt. I just ordered the four cables from Magnum and they are the last thing to install. Overall, a fun project so far with no major problems. Biggest hassle so far was that bike was winterized (I'm in Michigan) so had a full gas tank with stabilizer in it. Spilled gas everywhere getting the tank off when I had to quickly unhook the crossover hose, lift tank, and reattach that little hose.

G'day,

Vinish

Quick Reply: Chrome Handlebar Control Kit ?