Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone pull the plug at the bottom of the engine for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:52 AM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a 5/6qt change flush out... go for a short ride (warm engine completely) when you return remove tank return line from motor to tank at the tank, fill oil tank "ALL THE WAY TO TOP" with cheap synth, the return oil line that you removed from the tank place in bucket, run motor,
all the old crap will flush thru with the (flush). watch the oil bag and don't let it run dry completely, low is good but not dry, have a open qt. in your hand to fill oil tank as it runs thru. when you get to qt 5 stop motor, attach return line back to oil tank, fill oil to proper level go for a short ride to heat up motor, then do a complete oil change as soon as you get back with your choice if synth, filter & all. there you go. a motor douche if you will... if you do back to reg oil do this again but with reg oil... repeat this every 20k and you should get over 100k without a top end.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt it's much, but if it bothers you try using a vampire pump to suck out the rest of it. I think Autozone sells them, have a hose you feed down into the tank or sump and a syringe type handle used to vaccume fluids out.

But you'll never get all the oil out without taking things apart. What ever would be left wouldnt be enough to make any differance and would get deluted and be gone after a change or two. Mixing a little of one with more of the other aint too bad during the change over.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:01 AM
lazyboy09
Tourer

My bad, I forgot the plug for the engine oil is mounted to the frame, I was thinking of the trans plug.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:10 AM
luvtoride
Tourer

I use the scavenger system. There is at least a quart of oil left in the case, sump and lines. Using this system completely rids the engine of old oil amounting in a 100% fluid change. It costs you an extra quart of oil but IMO its well worth it. There's a lot who will say its not necessary, thats ok too. I do what I think is best for my machine. http://www.roguechopper.com/about.htm

Last edited by luvtoride; 10-31-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I removed the pipe plug during my first oil change out of ignorance. Have not had any issues in five years but I never pulled it again.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 PM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

if you will run the bike a little and warm the oil up some when you drain the tank it wont have much time to run any oil into your engine if your engine does that. As far as what little is left in your engine imo i wouldnt worry about it its not worth the risk of cracking your block to get a little bit if any oil out.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:24 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If you inistg on absolutely clean oil use the rogue chopper system or the other method suggested. I avhe found no need to do either. Drain, refill, and ride. Yes, some dirty oil does stay in the crack case, but it has casued me no problems.

Drew

Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by luvtoride
I use the scavenger system. There is at least a quart of oil left in the case, sump and lines. Using this system completely rids the engine of old oil amounting in a 100% fluid change. It costs you an extra quart of oil but IMO its well worth it. There's a lot who will say its not necessary, thats ok too. I do what I think is best for my machine. http://www.roguechopper.com/about.htm

I use the same system. I changed my oil today and got almost 30 oz of nasty oil that would have been left in the motor had I changed it the usual way.

Damn, I shoulda took a pic of the scavenged oil so the naysayers could see what they're leaving in their motor.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal74
I use the same system. I changed my oil today and got almost 30 oz of nasty oil that would have been left in the motor had I changed it the usual way.

Damn, I shoulda took a pic of the scavenged oil so the naysayers could see what they're leaving in their motor.

It really is amazing what comes out.

For all the naysayers...next time you change oil in your car only use 3 quart of fresh oil and top up with the used oil you just drained. I sure you could drive for years that way...

Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Rogue chopper system.

Works great and I'm glad I've got it, getting rid of all the dirty oil is definitely a good thing to me.

Quick Reply: Does anyone pull the plug at the bottom of the engine for an oil change?