Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Denim Paint ! How to Maintain, and what are the Pro's and Cons with it ?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:26 AM
Augito1979
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Denim Paint ! How to Maintain, and what are the Pro's and Cons with it ?!?!?!

I'm new here and been looking for post or threads about the Black Denim Paint. Im a mechanic, repo Agent, tow truck operator and dabble a little in body work and finishing such as detailing wet sanding and buffing paint.

My question is how do you maintain this paint. I wouldnt wanna throw some wax and make it shiny,,, but as in any paint if you dont put some type of protection on it then the paint will oxidize or fade. Is there a wax or Glaze that can be put on this paint to protect it,,, it will be stored inside but I wanna go to shows and ride as much as possible.

I went to a Harley Dealership, dont wanna mention no names and I was told you have to wash these with a mild soap or with windex. Soap and Windex are degreasers, and not sure what the factory puts on the finish of the Black Denim paint jobs once there doneand shipped. Im in between the Denim Black and the Brilliant Silver Pearl. Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated,,, my heart is set on the Black Denim, but if I cant wax or put some kind of protection then I dont want it I'll get the Brilliant Silver Pearl. Please get back to me on here or at my e-mail Augito1979@yahoo.com,,, Thank You all in advance !!!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 AM
sbyumabaker
Cruiser

I’ve heard people use window cleaner (Windex) on the paint; or just simple soap & water. Few of the people that I talked to say they are not too crazy about the color after awhile, too easy to scuff up.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:13 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Harley came out with a special product for the Denim. No clue if it works or not, I just spray mine with S100, rinse it of and dry. After a year and a half, paint still looks like new.

Harley-Davidson® Denim Paint Cleaner

Specially-formulated for Harley Denim Paint, this handy quick detailer cleans and protects the silky matte finish. Just spray and gently wipe away oils, fingerprints, and dust. Compatible with all surfaces on H-D® motorcycles, this formula cleans without buffing, so you can avoid "polishing" the denim surface. Heavily soiled surfaces should be washed with Harley-Davidson® Sunwash® Concentrate and water before application.

94866-10

16-oz. Spray Bottle

Universal.

MSRP US $7.95

Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Denim paint

I have been using simple window cleaner and or Lucas spray cleaner/speedy wax. the Lo Boy is 13 months old and I can't see any difference in the finish since I bought it. my local painter did the front fender and the finish is a spot on match to the factory paint. you do have to be careful of scratches, but I have been really happy with this new Denim finish. I had a 2 tone Nightster for about 14 months and had the same results with that.

JMHO

Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM
FBLJosh
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine almost a year, and only used Windex to clean it. No issues with paint so far. I'm here in Southern Florida, and my paint hasn't faded yet. Unlike my 2008 Jeep Wrangler bumpers, they are faded and chalky looking from the intense Florida sun.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Windex for the denim and chrome every time ive cleaned it and I havent had a problem. NO WAX. Wax on the Denim line of paint will F**K it up. My dad tried that and ended up smearing the wax and it looked like crap. He had to work it off with bug cleaner. Denim is nice because its a rough look and very easy to maintain. You wont find any two denim bikes with the same marks or wear pattern on them.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:09 AM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They show the slightest scratch/scuff and you cant just buff them out.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windex on the denim paint! That denim paint cleaner left a weird film on mine the one time i used it. Lemon Pledge on everything else.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Augito1979
1st Gear

Thank You EveryBody for the Input,,, I didnt wanna get the Denim and it fade or get chalky after a few years I live in new york so riding season is like March to October early November unless you wanna freeze then some ride more, but thank you all for the information !

Old 11-03-2010, 11:07 AM
bdsbigzrx
Advanced
Default .........

Originally Posted by Augito1979
Thank You EveryBody for the Input,,, I didnt wanna get the Denim and it fade or get chalky after a few years I live in new york so riding season is like March to October early November unless you wanna freeze then some ride more, but thank you all for the information !
the "chalk" look doesn't happen with the new methods of making denim/satin finishes. In the old days, you could just use a black epoxy primer. Left unchecked, this can change appearances. The newer method of spraying satin black is either with something like SEM's Hot Rod Black, or by shooting a standard black base with clear, but adding a little flattening agent into the clear

Quick Reply: Black Denim Paint ! How to Maintain, and what are the Pro's and Cons with it ?!?!?!