Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflectors don't fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:09 PM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wind deflectors don't fit

Here's what we've got. An '07 Heritage with detachable HD King size wind shield, passing lamps and turn signals. I ordered the HD wind deflector set p/n 58125-90B. I put the bike in the garage this evening & took the bolts out of the left side that have the grommets on them, tried to fit up the deflector, and it was not even close to fitting because it would not clear the turn signal. (either side) Also the deflectors have three bolt holes, the bike has just two where the mounting grommets are located. This bike also has the stainless nacel behind the head light, and the four bolts go through that too. Any ideas?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

They'll go on fine. You just have to reverse them or something or other. Read about it here several times. Maybe if you do a search you can find the threads on it.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I had to take a round file and "stretch" the holes so mine would clear the Turn Signals on my 11 Heritage.

And yes, I was installing them correctly.

Some guys loosen the turn signals and bend them forward a little, but I didn't want to mess with that.

The Wind Deflectors are one of the few Harley accessories that I've had a problem installing. If you have a bike without the turn signals below the passing lamps, they would go on without a hitch.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser

Yep, I had to put them on backwards, and I had to take the the first washer off too. The rubber grommets go right up against the nacel now, The left deflector is against the turn signal now, and I don't have the correct socket to loosen it up, so will have to figure that one out tommorow. I don't know what size, but I'm thinking a deep 7/16 with a slot cut down the side for the wire.?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Heritage632
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07 Heritage as well and didn't have any trouble putting mine on. Close to the turn signal but cleared them fine. I've put them on three times so far...hahaha

Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 AM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser

Finally got done with that project about midnight, what a struggle. After I finally figured out I had to put them on *** backwards, I had to re-aim the left turn signal & passing lamp.That was the biggest part of the job. The turn signal came off first, and with the help of Loc-tite, I had to fight the screws out all the way. Then I just cut the single wire & worked the nut with a 9/16" deep socket & resoldered the wire. I don't ride at night, so I think the lights are pretty close to where they were when I started, but the all clear now just barely. The deflectors are pretty light gauge material, and I just kinda bent them just a little into alighnment with the fork.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LocoPilot750
Finally got done with that project about midnight, what a struggle. After I finally figured out I had to put them on *** backwards, I had to re-aim the left turn signal & passing lamp.That was the biggest part of the job. The turn signal came off first, and with the help of Loc-tite, I had to fight the screws out all the way. Then I just cut the single wire & worked the nut with a 9/16" deep socket & resoldered the wire. I don't ride at night, so I think the lights are pretty close to where they were when I started, but the all clear now just barely. The deflectors are pretty light gauge material, and I just kinda bent them just a little into alighnment with the fork.
Dang, cutting wires and all that?. Never read of anyone having to go that far.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM
sunrise rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bolted mine right up, they make a special socket that's sloted for wiring (sorry can't remember the name of the socket) use it to adjust the turn signals. Should only have to adjust forward a little bit. You will like the deflectors they make a difference of air coming over the tank. Believe it or not how you ride with your legs tight against the bike or more relaxed will make a difference of the air flow also.