Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankcase Blow-by

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010 | 09:50 AM
Brancajd
|
Cruiser
Default Crankcase Blow-by

I have a 2006 Heritage Softail Classic that I just got in June. It had 4,301 miles on it. Shortly thereafter, I put a SE stage 1 air filter kit on it. I noticed that I would constantly smell oil or burnt oil smell after riding the bike, but never saw any leaks. Until recently! The crankcase has breather bolts on each cylinder head, there are tubes that feed into the back of the air filter that route the "oil mist" into the intake (WTF..oil mist?) Anyway, the oil mist was collecting on my filter, my filter could only absorb so much oil before it started to drip/leak down on to my engine..thus...the smell of burnt oil. To alleviate this problem, I removed the tubes from the backing plate and plugged the holes. I took a T-fitting and put the tubes on it and purchased a steel braided hose appliance line from home depot and ran that down the side of the engine near the oil lines and have it venting under the frame, near the rear shocks. I don't know about you guys, but the ONLY things that should be in the intake are air & fuel...NOT oil! (effin EPA, I know). I asked two of my friends that have Heritage's and stage 1 kits if they have the same issue, and they said no. I've read on numerous sites that this problem can be caused by an improperly mounted oil pump? If this is the case, then should I take this back to the dealer to have it realigned? Seems it may have been like this from day 1 since it left the factory? Your thoughts, as always, are greatly appreciated...
Jay

Old 10-28-2010 | 10:46 AM
the blob
Road Warrior

oil level too high? on a bike with only 4k miles thats what im thinking. 3 of my harleys that i owned have done this but it wasnt bad, id find a drop here and there. my sportster would would mist more oil than my big twins. but none were bad!

Old 10-28-2010 | 11:35 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 on the oil level... if it reads full..you have to much...

so with your new set-up your avoiding sending the blow-by back into the filter...and dumping it on the back tire?
I would also put a filter on the line....

CC

Old 10-28-2010 | 01:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

This can also become an issue with how you ride and the oil level. IF you have a heavy hand it is more likely to happen. I recently made a breather for mine too as this became an issue after my 95" build. It was never an issue before. I used some 1/4" copper pipe and drilled and tapped a set of breathers. I used some copper fittings from OSH and ran a hose down the front downtube and under the bike. It seems to work quite well. Here is a pic or two.
Blurry pic...

Bottom of hose zip tied to frame

Drew

Old 10-28-2010 | 01:20 PM
wheel752
Road Captain

I run two lines, one from each hole...Unless very hot and 80 plus...I get none

Old 10-28-2010 | 09:26 PM
Brancajd
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
+1 on the oil level... if it reads full..you have to much...

so with your new set-up your avoiding sending the blow-by back into the filter...and dumping it on the back tire?
I would also put a filter on the line....

CC

as far as I can tell, it's not hitting the back tire....thought about putting a filter on the end.....

Old 10-28-2010 | 09:28 PM
Brancajd
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
+1 on the oil level... if it reads full..you have to much...CC
Why is that?

Old 10-29-2010 | 03:23 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

pressure in the motor will blow the oil out the vent/breather sys. esp. at high speed. on my sportster it would blow out the ac until oil level was near half on the dip stick!! then it wouldent lose or blow out a drop!!