Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18x4.25 Rear on Deluxe...Need Help Verifying Before Ordering

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 AM
IceColdDeluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18x4.25 Rear on Deluxe...Need Help Verifying Before Ordering

So after talking on the phone with Sam at Ride Wright, he sent me two different powdered spokes that he thought would match my bike. The black ice match was off, but the white ice match was spot on, so barring any tire hold up & I'm gonna bite the bullet and order. However, before I do, I want to verify that the set-up I've decided on will work without any modification to the fender:

21x3.5 with a 120/70-21 in the front
18x4.25 with a 150/60-18 in the rear

I'm assuming I will need some type of spacer adjustment, but I'm just wanting to make sure that I'm not going to run into an issue with fender space. I am also interested in knowing how the installation of a shotgun shock might change sidewall clearance as the tire approaches the strut bolts.

If anyone out there has a similar setup, I'd be really interested in hearing from you as this is going to be a big investment that I don't want to screw up on.

Last edited by IceColdDeluxe; 10-27-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: found a typo...Go figure.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

We have put this size on several Deluxe's without issue. Sometimes the tire is extremely close to the left side of the fender. What did Sam say. he would know better than anyone. If you want to save a few bucks order through me.

Drew

Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM
IceColdDeluxe
Cruiser

Just emailed him plus I had a question regarding Vee Rubber's availability of white walls... The Vee Rubber site shows all sizes in the Twin model are "Available Now"....

Already planning on paying you a visit after I get confirmation Drew... I'm gonna resist the urge to throw the Shotgun onto the order. That has to wait until January. After making sure the powder coat was gonna match the bike, I decided that taking care of the hardest to get item first was probably the best choice.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. The best way to know about the Vee Rubber availability is to call Ride Wright and ask them.

Drew

Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
IceColdDeluxe
Cruiser

Got news from Sam that he only has 2 left of the Vee Rubbers in the sizes I am looking for. However, this is what he told me about the tires:

"i have to tell you though the white is not very white and it is not a show quality there is a uneven black line whether will show from the beed or not, and in some of the white have spots."

I greatly appreciate his honesty as I would be extremely upset to open the boxes up to find my custom wheels wrapped in anything less than perfection.

I am now yet again in a holding pattern. I don't want to put anything but white walls on my bike, so investing almost $1500 in wheels that I can't get quality white walls for is not desirable. Going to try to get some time to talk to Sam again on the phone and try to get a better idea for what is going on with the tire situation. I sure wish Avon or Metzeler would step up and produce a larger size selection of white walls.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same setup on my sled and I had to reverse the sissy bar bolts so tire would clear. Here is a few pics.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IceColdDeluxe
Got news from Sam that he only has 2 left of the Vee Rubbers in the sizes I am looking for. However, this is what he told me about the tires:

"i have to tell you though the white is not very white and it is not a show quality there is a uneven black line whether will show from the beed or not, and in some of the white have spots."

I greatly appreciate his honesty as I would be extremely upset to open the boxes up to find my custom wheels wrapped in anything less than perfection.

I am now yet again in a holding pattern. I don't want to put anything but white walls on my bike, so investing almost $1500 in wheels that I can't get quality white walls for is not desirable. Going to try to get some time to talk to Sam again on the phone and try to get a better idea for what is going on with the tire situation. I sure wish Avon or Metzeler would step up and produce a larger size selection of white walls.
We all wish that they would make a 120/21 and 18/160 WWW. Then I would have an 18 rear rim and a 3.5 front rim. There is definitely sopmething to be said for someone as honest as Sam. Most people would not respond like that. One reason I like doing business with him and his company.

Drew

Drew

Old 10-27-2010, 06:05 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Someone posted pics of the Vee rubber tires..... It is yellowish as compared to a Dunlop or the Avon...

Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

It is "antique" white. Someone used white shoe polish to make theirs nice and white too.

Drew

Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn, that sucks. I was checkin on some Vee Rubber Tires. If their not white, white, then I will just roll with metzlers or avons. Whats the deal, just poor quality or what? Has anybody had any troubles with Vee rubber tires not being WHITE?

Quick Reply: 18x4.25 Rear on Deluxe...Need Help Verifying Before Ordering