Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Nacelle Troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:24 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softail Nacelle Troubles!

I finally saved up enough money to get the nacelle kit, part number 67907-96c, for my bike. I'm posting this so that any others that purchase this part from Harley know what I am dealing with and carefully inspect all pieces in the kit before beginning any installation.

Lets just say that I will be going on my 4th box tomorrow. Here's the deal, bought the first kit, and all three chrome pieces of the nacelle were scratched right out of the box. Took it back to the dealer, traded for another box. We decided to open that box on the spot to check and wouldn't you know, that nacelle was scratched as well.

So, we ordered another kit and sent those two back to HD. Waited about a week...the kit came in today. Went to pick it up, figured it was all good, didn't open the box at the counter, and brought it home. Got home, opened the box, and yet again, another scratched nacelle right out of the box! Called the dealer, and will be bringing it back again tomorrow for inspection and replacement.

All I can say, is this is un-f'ing believable. As you know, this is a 400 dollar kit retail...so there is no way in hell this should ever happened...maybe once is excusable, but three f'ing times? HD definitely has a packing problem when it comes to these kits.

My dealer is super cool and at this point, I'm sure, are as pissed off about this as I am.

So, this is just a warning for those members planning on purchasing the HD nacelle kit for FL Softails. Be sure you inspect all 3 chrome pieces in the kit very carefully for scratches...it looks like there might be a quality control problem for this kit when it's packed for shipment from the HD factory.

The first kit, all pieces were scratched.

The second kit, one piece was scratched.

This third kit, at lease one piece is scratched...once I saw the first piece was scratched I didn't even bother unpacking the rest. Who knows, the other pieces might be scratched as well.

I'll let you know how the next box turns out...

Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

Bummer

Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the last one I bought was the same deal.....I ended up taking the scratched pieces back and having just that part ordered....worked out great!

Good Luck with the future kit(s)!

Jimmy

Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damm that sucks!! I guess I was lucky with mine. It will be worth the wait when you install it.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master

Originally Posted by Santo
Damm that sucks!! I guess I was lucky with mine. It will be worth the wait when you install it.
Yeah maybe it's that extra two state transit (from NM to CA) that jacks it all up...must be the pot holes in the roads on the way here tossing the boxes around in the UPS trucks.

If I wasn't so set on having it, I probably would have just asked for my money back...but all of you guys who have them, your bikes look so sweet with them that I gotta have one too .

We shall see if my luck changes with the next box.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep your fingers crossed, although once you get it installed everyone tends to want to touch it....it's like a big magnet. Pisses me off when they say "oh you changed the light" and they touch it and leave finger prints on it. Hate to sound like an *** but now I tll them not to touch it cuz it takes a while to clean it...lots of chrome.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:45 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
the last one I bought was the same deal.....I ended up taking the scratched pieces back and having just that part ordered....worked out great!

Good Luck with the future kit(s)!

Jimmy
Looks like I am not alone with the scratch situation!

The dealer was gonna just swap parts from different kits to make it right after the first box, but since all three pieces in the first box were scratched, and they only had one more box on hand, they couldn't do it. Then the other box ended up having scratches and they just sent them both back and order the one I picked up today.

I would have preferred to just swap a scratched piece for a good piece and be on my way but it wouldn't work because so many pieces were sratched. Maybe we can do that with this kit if the piece I noticed tonight is the only scratched piece.

We shall see...

Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

must be one guy left from the AMF years , and he's in charge of packing chrome parts . here's hoping he retires soon

Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Whatta pain. I just hope that when you get a perfect item, the fitment works out as well. Good luck Jay Dee. You bike looks great.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 PM
hackenfort
Banned

Hate to say it, but the one I got had issues too, very poor chrome for expensive part. I wonder were these are made, cause HD should look at a new source.

Quick Reply: Softail Nacelle Troubles!