Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty on a Used Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:47 PM
ajay450
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty on a Used Harley?

I'm going to buy an 04 Fatboy and I know they will try to sell me a warranty. I was at the dealer tonight and they were softening me up by saying that you need to get it because if you have a repair like truing up the crank because if it starts to move(wander) it will cost you $3000 to tear the engine apart to fix it. Then he goes on to say that that hardley ever happens.

So, for you who have purchased a used bike from a dealer how many have bought a warranty?

Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on mileage, how much $$$, and how long the warrantee is good for. Most of the time it's not worth it but if it gives you peace of mind and you don't mind shelling out some $$$ do it. I bought a used pickup once that came with an extended warrantee bought by the previous owner. A month later the tranny went and it was covered. I bought an extended warrantee on my current used pickup and never needed it. Peace of mind since you don't know the history of the bike. In the end it's up to you.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM
snook592
Club Member

Originally Posted by ajay450
I'm going to buy an 04 Fatboy and I know they will try to sell me a warranty. I was at the dealer tonight and they were softening me up by saying that you need to get it because if you have a repair like truing up the crank because if it starts to move(wander) it will cost you $3000 to tear the engine apart to fix it. Then he goes on to say that that hardley ever happens.

So, for you who have purchased a used bike from a dealer how many have bought a warranty?

How many miles are on the bike

Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 AM
ajay450
Tourer

Originally Posted by shineybike
It depends on mileage, how much $$$, and how long the warrantee is good for. Most of the time it's not worth it but if it gives you peace of mind and you don't mind shelling out some $$$ do it. I bought a used pickup once that came with an extended warrantee bought by the previous owner. A month later the tranny went and it was covered. I bought an extended warrantee on my current used pickup and never needed it. Peace of mind since you don't know the history of the bike. In the end it's up to you.
Bike's mileage is 6,200 and the warranty is about $1,100 for one year. I doubt seriously that anything would happen. The dealer is familiar with the history and doesn't think the bike was abused. I know it's up to me, just wondering what most would do in this situation. I leaning toward no.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:09 AM
ajay450
Tourer

Originally Posted by snook592
How many miles are on the bike
Mileage is 6,200. I took it for a test drive and it seemed in excellent running order. My guess is that nothing will happen in the next year, so it will be money wasted. The guy who owned it before me probably didn't have a warranty on a 7 year old bike. Dang these Harley warranties are so expensive.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Insurances are in the business to make money not to give it away.

Extended warranties are a cash cow for the Insurance business. $1100 buys a lot of repairs!

Bought extended warranty on my BMW once, and when I had a problem they refused to pay for it.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:42 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you are financing then get a warranty and you can get lower rate. if cash then no other than a free 30 day from the dealer or tell them no sale.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:15 AM
ajay450
Tourer

Originally Posted by tk353
if you are financing then get a warranty and you can get lower rate. if cash then no other than a free 30 day from the dealer or tell them no sale.
No financing. 30 day free, good idea. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

6,200 miles on a harley is nothing! If it rides good now, don't waste your money. As Rakthi says "$1,100 buys a lot of repairs".

Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 AM
ajay450
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rakthi
Insurances are in the business to make money not to give it away.

Extended warranties are a cash cow for the Insurance business. $1100 buys a lot of repairs!

Bought extended warranty on my BMW once, and when I had a problem they refused to pay for it.
Extended warranties are pure profit. I've had refusals before too. Once Kawasaki authorized a fix on the wrong part and then refused to fix the part that was actually broken.

Quick Reply: Warranty on a Used Harley?