Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Dream come true' My first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glockholiday
I like to be looking over the top of the shield by a couple of inches, it still throws the wind over your head but your not looking through the shield all the time so if its dirty or the sun is just right it won't hinder (dictionary.com) your vision.
Ditto... also if it's pouring rain.... better to look over the top of it and not thru it.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want a windshield to be about 2-3" below your sight line. You do not want to be looking through it. With that said, you also dont want it to be too low either. If it is the wind will hit you right in the face, which includes rain coming off the windshield.

Good Luck and whee are the pictures of your bike?

Old 11-05-2010, 04:16 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Congrats !!

You will like your Heritage. I have found with mine, the windshield depends
on a few things. You will find that most of the turbulance comes from down below. Height depends on your handlebars and how close the seat puts you.
I recently put a Corbin "close" Gunfighter on mine for shorter rides and WTF I like the looks. It is actually more comfortable than any other Corbin seat I've had. The Mustang is best (only with the backrest) for longer rides. The Wide Vingage is nice, but face it they look HUGE on there (John Deere tractor seat.) The Corbin offers the lwr back supt I need. Back to my point, the close Gunfighter moved me up. The shorter w/shld (4" below stk) works better. I actually like sitting closer to the bars. Very surprising. Of all the combo's I've had, this is the best.

For winter, consider those chrome lwr deflectors. They really work. They stop the turbulant air from undernieth.

My .02 . . . That and 4$ might get you coffee @ Starbucks

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A windshield is for metric cruisers

congrats on the new ride and remember buying the bike is just the down payment

Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
cappy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Traded in my Suzuki C90 yesterday for an '06 Softail Heritage FLST/I. It was dark when I rode it home and, knowing it was sitting down there in the garage, so excited I couldn't sleep. So up at 4 a.m. down in the garage looking at it, sitting on it, admiring it, just waiting for first light. I can already see some light in the sky.

Don't let those metric cruiser guys fool you. We ALL want Harleys. I finally took the plunge, and yes forked out some extra cash, but like my wife says you only live once.

I'm a little groggy from lack of sleep, but I do have a question: Whether to get an 18-inch detachable windshield or a 21-inch. I plan on a lot of long trips and wind blast gets tiring, but I don't want to take away the look of this beautiful bike. Any thoughts?
Welcome to the darkside I was a volusia rider i now love my Heritage.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM
fuzzy_math
Cruiser

Congrats on the new-to-you ride! Great choice.
I run the windshield for long 2-up rides, and the detachable one comes off in seconds for solo or short rides. I got the black frame for it so when it's on it doesn't blow the looks off too bad. But I'm kinda old and don't mind when I do run it - as long as I'm riding it's all good...

Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 PM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Talking Mood & Weather determines what i have on the bike...

I got the 21" (had an 18" with some smoke, kept that); but for around town go without anything most often (except Love Bug season)...
Love to change the look & the ride.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:51 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, I guess I'll be the bad guy...

Congrats on your new bike.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Dieselhed
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Traded in my Suzuki C90 yesterday for an '06 Softail Heritage FLST/I. It was dark when I rode it home and, knowing it was sitting down there in the garage, so excited I couldn't sleep. So up at 4 a.m. down in the garage looking at it, sitting on it, admiring it, just waiting for first light. I can already see some light in the sky.

Don't let those metric cruiser guys fool you. We ALL want Harleys. I finally took the plunge, and yes forked out some extra cash, but like my wife says you only live once.
I never get tired of hearing stories like this. A Heritage will be my next sled. Welcome to the fold brother.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
hdrider44
Intermediate

Congrats on the new ride. I started riding HD's at 18 and finally sported my 1st winshiels when I was in my late 40's,,, but only in the worst weather. Still prefer to not have one but when I do I like the short one.

Quick Reply: 'Dream come true' My first Harley