Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Dream come true' My first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:28 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the tall one. Ride with it for a bit and see what you think. Then you can have it shaved down to the exact size you want. You can always make it smaller...but not taller.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I just sold a Kawi Vulcan and even the mention of a Harley on the vulcan forum and you were bashed. I had not been on a bike in 30 years so when i decided to buy a bike this past April I bought a 900 Kawi which i rode for 5 months. One of the guys I ride with also had an 1800 kawi and sold it and purchased an 03 Heritage. I took that bike for a ride and the next day put my vulcan on ebay and started shopping for a deluxe. I dont understand why the metric guys feel the need to bash HD but I am dam happy with my deluxe and could never go back.

As for the windshield my vulcan had a shield so I spent 5 months riding with one, I picked up the deluxe 2 weeks ago and rode it home 40 miles with no shield...all sorts of road crap hitting me in the face as soon as I got home I called the dealer and ordered a shield lol. Different strokes for different folks thats what makes the world go round !

Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Johnny 5
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a vstar 1100 before i got my deluxe, well i still have the vstar, but i think my brother is going to be riding it till he gets that old '74 sportster he got for less then 1g running.

i agree with bobber in his first post, a 0 for windshield.

i got a detachable one with mine, but i might only rock it for cross country trips , again, thats a might.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. I do not have a windshield and never did on any of my HD's but my ex had a 750 ace all done up and it had the shield. I hate to amidt it but is was a nice change ridding with a shield now and then when my bike was apart but STILL NO SHIELD FOR ME!!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Traded in my Suzuki C90 yesterday for an '06 Softail Heritage FLST/I. It was dark when I rode it home and, knowing it was sitting down there in the garage, so excited I couldn't sleep. So up at 4 a.m. down in the garage looking at it, sitting on it, admiring it, just waiting for first light. I can already see some light in the sky.

Don't let those metric cruiser guys fool you. We ALL want Harleys. I finally took the plunge, and yes forked out some extra cash, but like my wife says you only live once.

I'm a little groggy from lack of sleep, but I do have a question: Whether to get an 18-inch detachable windshield or a 21-inch. I plan on a lot of long trips and wind blast gets tiring, but I don't want to take away the look of this beautiful bike. Any thoughts?
Congrats on the new Heritage. My Deluxe came with the king size quick-detach Nostalgia windshield. I prefer the look. Go figure . . .

Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Bigsarge71
Advanced

I know that feeling also bro I had a C50 and just upgraded to a 2010 Roadglide. Harley Davidson bikes nothing else compares after riding a hog. I'm never going back metric. Enjoy many miles on your new ride.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Keale
4th Gear

QD windshield is great for long rides unless you want to wear a full face helmet. I still have my jap bike and love it too, never knew why both sides bashed on the other.....

Old 10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
TCannon22
Tourer

Originally Posted by jbg
Get the tall one. Ride with it for a bit and see what you think. Then you can have it shaved down to the exact size you want. You can always make it smaller...but not taller.

Good advice right there... I got the quick detach King Size nostalgic windshield for my Fatboy and loved it for a little while. Fog is what eventually got me so I took it in to a little plastic shop and they measured it with me on the bike and cut it exactly how high I needed it for about 25 bucks. Now I see about 1 1/2" or 2" right over the top and still have tons of wind protection.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the new bike.
As for the shield, it depends on where you live as a guy in SOCAL may prefer to ride without a shield as the weather is uaually nice and warm & a guy in Northern Canada will prefer to ride with a shield as he is FN freezen
just get the QR as advised and have the best of both worlds, I have seen shields on this forum for sale @ a decent price.

ride safe

Colin

Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jakesdad: LOL...that umbrella emoticon was the perfect ending for that post. brilliant, man ahaha

Quick Reply: 'Dream come true' My first Harley