Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cam grind will go with the HD Hydraulic Conversion kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
Well, this page (which seems to be one of the very popular ones on tuning TC 88)

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdstage2.htm

Suggests that the 37 maybe a good choice for my FXST ? and this will go with the Story been saying and I really want to be like him when I grow up LOL

check the web page under "Bolt-in camshaft selector twin-cam 88/95"
37's need a little compression to work good in a 88ci. they are fine in a 95 ci with the bump in compression. they work the best @ 9.8 static compression. there is a saying about the 37's ..they might not always be the best cam but they are never the wrong cam. they really are a very nice cam. best when set to proper compression.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 PM
DirtNap
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read though all the post ,,,,and just for reinsurance (links) S.E cam ten and Andrew 26n will work on a 2004 fxsti,,,,,,and is it really worth the money if your planning on digging in the engine every winter?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So from what I read here, you don't want to spend $850 on this upgrade to get a kit that is designed to work together and has proven to be a good upgrade but getting a couple of different part kits and putting them together for "hopefully" good results at $700+ is ok.

Interesting. If it were my money, I would go with the originally spec'd kit and call the extra money spent, insurance or support fees.

That said, if I were to have a mechanic do the work, I would also have him as part of the decision making process for getting the parts. It is he that will be installing and supporting this decision.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
DirtNap
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me explain myself a little better,,,,,After the cam plate upgrade,,I might just go with andrews ,woods or s.e,I dont know yet,,,but im real close to ordering,,,,

I might just do a annual inspection of the tensioners and by a o4 cam ,,,,,

Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

OK Guys, I have now spend enough time to officially tell you that the N37 really fits the 'lighter' bikes as advertised.
My FXST loved it, of course I can only compare to the Stock cams, so I can not tell if the N26 would have been a better choice or other cams, but so far for a Stock Engine/Heads , with just SE II Pipes + Doherty PowerPacc Air Cleaner, the bike responds very well.

To be honest with you, I would not want any more power at this point, As I do not think I have the matching stopping ability, the front brake kit from Fab Kevin was a great help in the front with the sport bike pads and all, but I still can see myself get into trouble easy here.

Now can someone bring good weather please !.