Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cam grind will go with the HD Hydraulic Conversion kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks guys, great info as always..
Brand new cams, but it seems the Andrews kit is coming to 850$ shipped cheapest (including cams) and this is from AmercianClassic which I get very bad response from other members here.
The Harley kit would be 450 and I can pick up a cheaper set of cams I will save a 100$ probably ! I think.

I already have the SE tappered EZ install pushrods .

Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Heres what the 26's did in my 96"er.. I've no doubt also that the slip ons left a little bit on the table compared what some 2 into 1's would do..

Last edited by oct1949; 02-14-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Wizid
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

26's really woke up my tc-88.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by klf33
Thanks guys, great info as always..
Brand new cams, but it seems the Andrews kit is coming to 850$ shipped cheapest (including cams) and this is from AmercianClassic which I get very bad response from other members here.
The Harley kit would be 450 and I can pick up a cheaper set of cams I will save a 100$ probably ! I think.

I already have the SE tappered EZ install pushrods .
give Herko a call. his kit with cams is less than 850.00. comes with eveything you need. loctite ,gaskets ,new bolts, o-rings ,bearings,etc.
I hate to quote a price,as this is his product. but I will say it is less than 850.00. Give John a call.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
give Herko a call. his kit with cams is less than 850.00. comes with eveything you need. loctite ,gaskets ,new bolts, o-rings ,bearings,etc.
I hate to quote a price,as this is his product. but I will say it is less than 850.00. Give John a call.
I am afraid this is not true !,
American Classic Motors Andrews Kit + N Cam = 790$ shipped or 850$ shipped including the 2001 Ignition trigger sproket.
Hekro Kit + NCam = 840$ shipped or 909$ shiped witht eh 2001 Ignition trigger sproket.
They are the same price except for American classic charging 50$ less for shipping.

I like to support the working man usually and not a big fan of American Classic motors as they pushed around many members here, and this is why I have been trying to avoid them, but the Harley kit can be had for 400% shipped and the Cams can be done under 300$ shipped for sure ..

I think the Harley kit wins if you are having your mechanic do the work for you.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I went with the HD Se Hyd Tensioners kit and SE 204. Very happy with the results in my bike. it is strong from idle up and has a nice lope at idle.

Check with Chicago HD the tensioner kit with their 20% discount are about $ 350.00 there are SE Kits listed on E Bay for $ 365.00 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories) and cams are about $ 239.00 from Chicago HD

Last edited by XARAN; 10-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

204's with .508 lift are a pretty good choice. Only thing I'm not crazy about with the conversion kits are the ones that maintain the old chains; its like you are only fixing half of the problem.

Don't want to muddy the waters but might want to talk to Ralph (Hogmaster) at Racengineering@gmail.com. I put a set of his RACE .520 lift cams in my 88" Softy with the hydro conversion parts. Bike pulls very strong and consistently all the way through the RPM range.

Cost was comparable or less than the kits quoted above. For the hydro conversion parts I basically put together my own kit using OEM parts from 07+ Softails. Oil pump, support plate, tensioners, a few screws, spacers... I have all the part numbers for anyone interested in going this route.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,224 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I am with strokerjlk on the 26s; IMHO the best all around bolt in cam for an 88", cam only modification.

You can purchase the parts for the '07 and later hydraulic conversion package from Zanottis for $370. Just order the parts from the Andrews parts list. The only parts not clearly addressed in that list are the fasteners used to attach the tenioner holders to the cam plate; I get mine from a local hardware store but anybody with a later parts manual can cough up the part numbers for those screws. That should bring your upgrade cost down to less than $700.

Nothing wrong with the hybrid kit but there have been some problems with the billet plate. You can also order the hybrid kit from Zanotti's and save some money.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by klf33
I am afraid this is not true !,
American Classic Motors Andrews Kit + N Cam = 790$ shipped or 850$ shipped including the 2001 Ignition trigger sproket.
Hekro Kit + NCam = 840$ shipped or 909$ shiped witht eh 2001 Ignition trigger sproket.
They are the same price except for American classic charging 50$ less for shipping.

I like to support the working man usually and not a big fan of American Classic motors as they pushed around many members here, and this is why I have been trying to avoid them, but the Harley kit can be had for 400% shipped and the Cams can be done under 300$ shipped for sure ..

I think the Harley kit wins if you are having your mechanic do the work for you.
did you figure the price of a cam service kit and bearings in to that?
I thought the last time I priced the kit it was less than that Sorry.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wanted to expand a little on my earlier post.

On the Harley SE conversion setup, it’s not really a true conversion. The inner link belt chain on the inner cam sprockets is not replaced, only the tensioner. The link belt chains are not really a good design. They require 35 lbs of pressure to keep the chains on the sprockets. That’s one reason why Harley went to the hydraulic setup in 07+ models. There is parasitic power loss in the drive train for bikes using the older chains and tensioners; it takes power to slide the chains under the pressure of the tensioner shoes.

In contrast, the new hydraulic tensioners and roller chains only require 11 lbs of pressure. After some research, it was determined that Harley could get away with using the new hydraulic tensioners but retain the old link belt chains on the inner cam sprockets. Why? Marketing! So you could use your stock cams or any of the SE cams with the conversion setup. One of the downsides to the Harley conversion setup is noise. 11lbs of pressure trying to keep the inner chain tight when the original design called for 35 lbs; translates to chain slack slapping around and being noisy.

The Andrews kit changes both tensioners to hydraulic and both chains to the roller design. Of course that means you must select cams with roller chain sprockets. If you go with an Andrews cam, any of their N series cams will fit. The N series are their popular grinds with roller chain sprockets. Both the 21’s and 26’s are decent choices.

To give you a third option, I mentioned in my earlier post what I did with my cams. I bought the individual HD stock 2007+ cam parts from the inner cam bearings out. The kits are certainly easier to source (it’s all in one box), but piecemealing allowed me to save a few bucks and also the opportunity to tailor the parts selection if I chose to. Cam selection is the same for this option as it is for the Andrews kit. I can use any N series Andrews cam, or other cam with roller sprockets.

I chose Ralph’s RACE 88 cams with .520 lift. They are made with the same materials as the Andrews cams. Racer quality and superior to the HD SE’s. The 520’s are true bolt-ins. I did not have to change pistons, springs, lifters, or rockers. Other than the conversion parts, everything else is stock. See my dyno sheet and the cam specs for my .520’s and for comparisons to the 21’s and 26’s.

The 21’s and my 520’s are similar except for the lift. But I think the 520’s are better performers. My TC88 dyno numbers are on par with what oct1949 pulled with the 26’s in his TC96. And to steal strokerjlk’s term, I have centerfold pipes on my bike (Hooker Troublemaker Radius – aka VH BR look-a-likes). Could have done better with better exhaust.

My recommendation would be the Andrews kit or buy pieces like I did. Couple with either the 520’s or the 26N. You are saving a few bucks with the HD kit but I’m not sure the savings is worth what you give up in terms of a full conversion setup. If you are going to convert, go all the way. Good luck and post final selection and results. I’m interested to read how it all works out.

Attached Thumbnails Which cam grind will go with the HD Hydraulic Conversion kit ?-race-88-cam-card-5-.jpg   Which cam grind will go with the HD Hydraulic Conversion kit ?-fxstsi-dyno-101008.jpg  

Quick Reply: Which cam grind will go with the HD Hydraulic Conversion kit ?