Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode a Softail Fat Boy Lo Yesterday; diff between that & a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010 | 07:44 AM
SportsterPapa
|
Cruiser
Question Rode a Softail Fat Boy Lo Yesterday; diff between that & a Heritage

Local Harley Dealer was kind enough to let me test a few bikes yesterday!
Don't want a Road Kink anymore (never did want an Ultra); but I was sure as heck impressed with the 2010 Softail Fat Boy Lo I rode!
I didn't ride the Heritage or any of the other Softails, just the Fat Boy Lo.
Question, is there a big difference in the height and handling between the Fat Boy Lo and the other late model Softails?
The one I test rode practically "Rode Itself".
Another dealer has a good price on a few Softails; two of them are Fat Boys and one is a Heritage Softail.
This dealer doesn't let you take bikes out...
I do think they are in fine shape (they are all 2009 & newer), but I was wondering if any out here has ridden all the models and could tell me if the difference is huge, or insignificant?

Old 10-16-2010 | 08:03 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

This other dealer is he an H-D dealer? I just never heard that they wouldn't let you test ride them when looking to buy. I was told once by a Honda dealer he didn't let people test ride. I don't understand how any dealer car, or bike can expect you to buy something you haven't ridden in or on?

Old 10-16-2010 | 08:29 AM
SportsterPapa
|
Cruiser

2nd dealer (I'm guessing) might have one of two issues, or both:
the Fat Boy I'm looking at there is a "Consignment" (folks leave their bikes for the dealer to sell)...
they, 2nd dealer, are located on US 19 (in a construction zone)... US 19 kills more people than almost any HWY in Florida (even without the construction)...

Old 10-17-2010 | 10:09 AM
dv8
Intermediate

I have bought 5 bikes and test rode them all. I have been to dealers who won't let me test ride ther bikes, so I went and bought the bike somewhere else.

Old 10-17-2010 | 09:32 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

I have rode my buddies 09 fatboy standard, not low. And another buddies 09 Heritage. They both rode quite the same and were both very well balanced. The stock fatboy seat sucked! It was so hard and uncomfortable that i don't know how he rode it. The stock Heritage seat was like sitting on a pillow, very comfortable and i would be willing to bet not a lot of Heritage owners have to get a new seat. I had a sundowner from my nightrain that i didnt need any more and gave it to my buddy with the fatboy because his seat was that bad.

Also, my dealer didn't let me test ride my new street glide either. But he did let me take the rental for the day with the understanding that if i didn't buy a bike i would be charged for a day of rental fee's. After a day of listening to the radio and riding with the cruise i was sold so it didn't cost and extra.
Might be something worth bringing up to the dealer to see how bad he wants to sell a bike. The rentals just sit there if there not rented and the dealer is only out a $100 or so depending on your area if he lets you take it. I did have to leave a credit card number and fill out the paper work but it was a good selling point for me.

Old 10-18-2010 | 06:24 AM
Doug45601
Road Master

I rode both the low FB and the Heritage Classic before I purchased. Both were nearly the same but highway speeds kept me going back to the Heritage but it wasn't for the windshield (I took it off for part of the test rides) The FB seemed to be somewhat of a "drifter" at speeds above 65 MPH and the Heritage on the same road, same speed, same time frame was solid in tracking... Think it was the wheels causing the difference

Old 10-18-2010 | 11:33 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

Well I can give you my opinoion of a comparison between the Deluxe (which is just the Heritage dressed up differently) and the Fat Boy Lo. I've got both and I'll be honest with you...I like the ride of the Fat Boy Lo better. I feel more like I'm sitting in the bike and I fell more in control. with the windshield on, both bikes ride very nicely. I do have cruiser bars on the Deluxe though. Personally...I like the Lo better than the Dluxe. Which is perfectly fine with my wife who is the reason I had to get myself a new bike in the first place. She LOVES the Deluxe.

Old 10-18-2010 | 01:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member

The reason I went with the Heritage is,
1, We needed the bags (for long daily trips)and wanted the shield..

2, We're older so I love the leather and spots.

3, The Ergo of the Mini Apes fits me perfect and the stock seat it great. I have ridden 5-6 hrs lots of day without pain. Since I've broken my back I think that speaks for its comfort. If my stock seat or bars ever needs replaced they will be with stock ones.
Now the rear pillion sucked,, got the wife the touring seat, sissy pad and floorboards for her,, 500% better now.

Also read in here & from friends that the new (200) FB rear last bout 4-6k where as the Heritage's (150) at least my first (3) has gone 10-10.5 k and we ride 2 up 95% Plus cams that can cause tire wear...

The bikes should ride close to the same, but the seat, bars and shield will make a big difference on longer rides.

Course U can buy and change out or add all the parts on the FB, but in the end it will cost more.. another reason for the Heritage..

But if U love the bigger tire and hate the spots, then a FB would be the way to go and add what ever U like to her..

Its ALL personal likes and dislikes... both of them are great bikes..

Last edited by oct1949; 10-18-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2010 | 08:46 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

the Fat boy Lo has a bigger cool factor IMHO.
However, if you are looking to go the distance the heritage is the bike for you...
Bear HD in Honesdale PA has a 2010 Fat boy LO for 15500...

Old 10-29-2010 | 08:08 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rider1200
This other dealer is he an H-D dealer? I just never heard that they wouldn't let you test ride them when looking to buy. I was told once by a Honda dealer he didn't let people test ride. I don't understand how any dealer car, or bike can expect you to buy something you haven't ridden in or on?
The dealer I just purchased my deluxe from does not allow test riding of any of there bikes the excuse they gave me was they were not insured for it.

Quick Reply: Rode a Softail Fat Boy Lo Yesterday; diff between that & a Heritage