Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the tape on the fender, under the passenger pillion, necessary on the Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:34 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the tape on the fender, under the passenger pillion, necessary on the Deluxe?

I decided to finally show my wife what her bike looks like without the bags. So I removed the OEM bags, passenger pillion and luggage rack. I then put in some shorter bolts and bought the HD bib for the Deluxe. However the stupid bib is much more narrow for the Deluxe than it is for my LO and the tape that's on the fender for protection shows out the sides.

So my question is this...has anyone removed that tape and if so, has your fender gotten all scratched up from the passenger pillion or the bib? Would it be okay to remove it? Thanks.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

That is there to keep the rear of the seat from scratching the fender. It can be removed by pulling it off or heating with a hair dryer and removing but be warned, if you ride 2 up you may get some scratches on the fender from the seat.

Drew

Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Viking66
Cruiser

I took it off of my Deluxe and put a nice bib on it. My passenger seats still goes on, and no scratches on the fender yet.

Taking it off should pose no problem if you have a bib back there.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
That is there to keep the rear of the seat from scratching the fender. It can be removed by pulling it off or heating with a hair dryer and removing but be warned, if you ride 2 up you may get some scratches on the fender from the seat.

Drew
Thanks Drew. I've got the upgraded, wider HD seat for that bike. Will it definetly scratch it up? If I was to get a new peice of tape and narrow it down a little to replace the factory tape, would that be fine? I guess it'd be dumb to go without any tape at all though?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Taking it off should pose no problem if you have a bib back there.
So you can put the seat on with the bib still mounted? What about he luggage rack? There's no holes for the rack in the bib?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I pulled the tape off and reversed it and stuck it to the bottom of my pass. seat. It will stay put and still protect the fender.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took mine off, looks way better. My wife dont ride so im not worried bout putting scratching on the rear fender. I guess if she she decides to ride i'll just throw a thin piece of cloth over the fender under the seat.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coronerrpm
I pulled the tape off and reversed it and stuck it to the bottom of my pass. seat. It will stay put and still protect the fender.
Genius !!

I'm glad there is always someone who has the ability to figure out such simple solutions to stupid little problems.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM
McRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by coronerrpm
Great idea. I wish I thought of that.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:21 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took that tape off my fender and run a fender bib. I ride 2-up all the time. I also have the wider touring pillion that i use when im riding 2-up. I leave the bib on the fender and put the pillion seat over it. Works PERFECTLY... I have NO scratches or imperfections of any type on my fender doing this.

Quick Reply: Is the tape on the fender, under the passenger pillion, necessary on the Deluxe?