Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboard Extensions or Forwards???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010 | 11:27 AM
Murderface
|
Tourer
Question Floorboard Extensions or Forwards???

I have a '10 Fatboy Lo and the boards just arent forward enough for me. I need a little more stretch. I want to either move the boards forward 2" or get forwards. Not really sure which way to go yet. Iv looked around some and it seems like forwards are pretty expensive, but i think i would really like the look and feel. I really dont wanna spend more than i need to though.

Any input? What do you recommend and how much will it cost?

Old 10-14-2010 | 12:51 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Forwards aren't as comfortable if you're planning on doing any long distance runs. My suggestion would be to go with the floorboard extenders and get an engine guard with highway pegs to stretch your legs out.

Old 10-14-2010 | 01:32 PM
Loungelizard
Advanced

I'm 6'4" and kicked the floorboards forward 2" and out with Harley Goodies. So much more comfortable now on my Fatty.

Old 10-14-2010 | 01:48 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

I've tried both. I outfitted my previous bike ('01 FXSTI) with extended forward controls and heel rests. I thought that was very comfortable.

Then I got my '10 Xbones. I put Kuryakin extenders forward and out 1". This is by far more comfortable than my FXST. I also removed the heel shifter because my foot always landed on it when I put my foot back on the boards.

The bottom line is that boards are more comfortable. They spread the weight over your entire foot instead of the surface of the peg.

Old 10-14-2010 | 02:41 PM
Murderface
|
Tourer

I guess ill stick with the boards. I do plan on putting some good miles on at some point. What extenders are the best? I thought the ones from Harley Goodies only moved them out, not forward? Guess im wrong?

Old 10-14-2010 | 02:47 PM
Loungelizard
Advanced

Originally Posted by Murderface
I guess ill stick with the boards. I do plan on putting some good miles on at some point. What extenders are the best? I thought the ones from Harley Goodies only moved them out, not forward? Guess im wrong?
You are correct, the goodies just move then out. I went forward with a separate kit. I forget where I got em though. Been a while.

Both made the diff for me.

Old 10-14-2010 | 02:53 PM
Loungelizard
Advanced

Memory recall... Here's where I got mine:

http://www.cyclevisions.com/cv-accessories/go-forward-floorboard-extensions/

Old 10-14-2010 | 03:44 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

it's a $100 (forward floorboards) vs an average of $600 (forward controls)... Your wallet, your call.

Mimo.

Old 10-14-2010 | 03:55 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the CC bolt on Floorboard kit on my FXST, it felt amazing, later and after a small mis-hap, they get bent badly, I had to remove them and put pegs back.. and BOY OH BOY, was I ever pissed, I really miss the Boards so much I went and bought a set of boards kit from a member here who converted his fatboy as well.

Point is, Boards are AMAZING and even for the new bobber look, they fit great, so I would go with extending them.

After the install is finished in the winter time , my forward controls will be up for sale

Old 10-14-2010 | 03:57 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I rode a bike with forwards recently and found them all too confining. But that is just my opinion. Another option is to get some big floorboards like the banana boards.

Drew

Quick Reply: Floorboard Extensions or Forwards???