Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall T-bars and 1/4 fairing on softail?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Cav Cop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the 1/4 fairing block much wind off the chest?

A few years back, prior to SOA I thought the front fairing was neat on Sportsters and Dyna's.

A 1/4 fairing might be the last mod I do to my bike in a few years.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 AM
night09train
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nor*Cal
Your ride looks sick! Please post pics when you put the bars on. If you were to measure from the triple tree to the top of the fairing what is the distance? I want my bars to rise just to the top edge of the fairing.

still deciding which bars to get the mx style isn't released until the 31 but i might pre order some. the top of the fairing is 10" up from the top of the tripple tree.

Completely agreed
Originally Posted by maddox13
Ya I dont wanna hurt any feelings but the second i saw this post i was thinking of the Sons of Anarchy craze going on. seriously there bikes dont even look that good, I wouldnt do it for just that reason whether my intention or not, but just my opinion
its funny how people associate that show with everything these days. bikes around my area have been riding around this way as far back as i can remember. there is an older guy that works at a local dealer that runs a softail with a fairing. bike was has probably been like that for years. i'll try and snap a pic of it next week when i go back.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Nor*Cal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by maddox13
Ya I dont wanna hurt any feelings but the second i saw this post i was thinking of the Sons of Anarchy craze going on. seriously there bikes dont even look that good, I wouldnt do it for just that reason whether my intention or not, but just my opinion

This is why I hesitate to join any type or forum. I asked a specific question and i appreciate the people who have participated in answering it. I don't know where you live but around here I have seen this setup on dynas well before that show. I think it would be badass if it looks good on a non dyna because it isn't something anyone has seen. Thanks though!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that's the look you're going for, do it. SOA doesn't own that look. They got it from somewhere.
You find out the fashion police will attempt to tell you what you or shouldn't wear to be considered a "biker" vs. a "poser".
I found out fingerless gloves I wore in the 80s were poser wear.

We will give advice based on our tastes, but it's your bike and your tastes in the end.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Tired_bird
Cruiser

Yea that Look has Been Popular around here in Nor Cal for a LONG time, and SOA is filmed in CA. an old timer that works at the Facotry across the street from where I work has his Dyna set up like that, he baught the Dyna new I believe in 92, and put the bars and fairing on shortly there after. the fairing has a purpose that it wasn't inteded for but we won't go into that. I guess from the sound of things it's not a big hit out side Cali.

NOR*CAL- go for it, I think it would look sweet, Not ony because I do like the look, but it will be different since it's on a softail. Do it and Post some pics! send me a PM let me know where at in Nor Cal your at. I'll be here in Nor Cal, Central valley till Feb, we can go riding.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is my Sportster with the 8" West Coast T-Bars and no fairing.

I love these bars!

Drew

Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
hksigman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have debated about doin this for a couple of years. to me its a cafe fairing- its not SOA.

my concern i have with my bike is i have 4 inch rise on my t-bars and my blinkers are on my levers so i need to see if the fairin will cover them.
Also i have the Marzocchi inverted front end which is 51mm if i remember so i am not even sure if the fairing can/will fit...

i have a glide-pro cafe fairin on my roadking and it does block enough wind off the chest to make a difference. plus you can shove a sweatshirt or something lite in the fairing area for quick easy access w/o havin to open the saddle bags...

Attached Thumbnails Tall T-bars and 1/4 fairing on softail?-015.jpg   Tall T-bars and 1/4 fairing on softail?-imag0033.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 AM
night09train
Cruiser

Just placed my order for the new style mx bars 12" from westcoast t bars. I spoke with Scotty last week and he is going to make them narrower for me. I can't wait to get them and put them on my bike. I am going to probably have them powder coated by a friend 1st but we will see how patient I can be.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:22 PM
klg
Novice
Default 1/4 fairing craze!!!

it's not a craze, i know i have all of 2 posts on this forum, mostly come here to read and get some good ideas and advice. I've lived in San Diego and Riverside counties for the last 10 or so years and most dudes in the clubs have been running dyna's and fairing for a long long time. that being said I have never seen one on a soft tail but why can't you? do what you want to your own bike and let everyone else judge you on their keyboards.... point is who cares! it's your bike man. personally I think fairings are a cali thing but tall risers have been on bikes for freaking decades! think of hoppers chop in easy rider. the one thing I hate about this forum is when anyone sees a blacked out dyna and a fairing it always has something to do with that damn TV show, you ever think the TV show stole it from some one else?! guess I should have snaped a photo of my neighbors house this morning... about 8 fxdx's all with t bars and fairings. but then I probably would have gotten a beat down haha. must have been the SOA right

Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

MX-Tbars look cool. I'd like to see some black ones mounted on Train.

Whats all this about the "secret" purpose of the fairing? Drug stash? Why is better than stashing stuff anywhere else on a bike?

Quick Reply: Tall T-bars and 1/4 fairing on softail?