Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Old school passing lamp mod with PICS (bulb changing too!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default How To: Old school passing lamp mod with PICS (bulb changing too!)

I just made my passing lamps yellow with the help of Lamin-X that was suggested by a fellow forum member. You know who you are and thanks! This mod took 5 minutes, including cleaning the bulbs. I also took a few pics to show how to change the bulbs if you want to add 55W bulbs. I avhe had no issue with them burning out...yet. We'll see how that works out as I have been warned by Mimo. I am thinking if your bulbs are not lasting very long it could be your ground causing them to fry or excessive vibration, but I do not know for sure.

Passing lamps on with bright

Passing lamps on with low beam

Headlight no passing lamps

Here is a passing lamp removed from the bike and housing. Unplug the power and ground wires to remove. If you avhe stock passing lamps bulbs that are "sealed" use a screwdriver or sharp knife to GENTLY pry the rubber boot off of the bulb. These are on with a ton of glue. Take you time to ensure you do not rip the boot. Here is how it looks once removed.

To remove the bulbs, undo the clip and take out bulb. I always use the power wire to remove it so as not to touch the bulb itself. Force of habit. I changed the bulbs last week so I did not do this right now.

Now for the yellow Lamix-X I got. Clean the bulb thoroughly. I used lemon pledge. I must have watched the pledge commercial that says to use it on bikes just before this.

Here is the Lamin-X. Peel off the backing (holding it by the tabs to prevent fingerprints, not in directions). Apply to the light an ensure you do not ahve bubbles or ridges. It will peel back and stick back on if there is a problem. If you want to a real man use a plastic application card to get it on there, but I did not find this necessary. When you are finished it will look like this.

Put the light back on the bike. Plug in ground and power.

One yellow, one regular

Both done.

Both on

Both off with headlight

I have an extra set of Lamin-X in yellow as their website was not clear on if 2 came in a package. 2 come in a package but I ordered 2. I will sell for $12 shipped. PM me if you want it. It was $17 plus shipping from their site.

Thanks!

Drew

Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Oh yeah, the tribar I have is coming off. I hate it. Who wants it? $10 plus $2 shipping. I also forgot to mention that my headlight is much brighter without the diffuser in there.

Drew

Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damm, Doc that looks way cool. I wish I would have waited,,,I just bought a tri-bar and Lamin-x covers also. I think that tri-bar looks **** on your bike. How is the Lamin-X? are they a really bright yellow? Im looking for more of a almost amber color for my passing lamps.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

They are yellow, but not amber. If you want amber you should get amber lamps. Someone makes them. They look darker with the lights off. The only thing i don't like about the tribar is that if you look closely at the round piece in the center it's cut kind of funny, but I have been known to be **** about stuff like that. I guess if no one wants it I'll just leave it on.

Amber lamps
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2206601...=263602_304662
Drew

Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

That turned out looking real good. And the smeared lens on your iPhone made it look even better

Old 10-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Heritage632
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great man!!! Like the yellow lenses!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That turned out looking great. Bummer about the Tri-Bar though.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kk6pg
That turned out looking real good. And the smeared lens on your iPhone made it look even better
I didn't buy it to sit around and look at! LOL. Who taught me it's okay to have a dirty bike? Hmmmm...maybe...YOU!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dirty Bikes Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll probably go with amber if my recently purchased lights ever arrive! LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks good. The yellow lens sets it of nicely.

Is it just the pics or are the passing lamps and turn sigs less bright on hi beam? On low beam they get brighter. And with the passing lamps turned off, your turn sigs are very bright. Looks as if the wiring is undersized for the added amp load. Or it could be wired differently. Maybe its just the pics...

Quick Reply: How To: Old school passing lamp mod with PICS (bulb changing too!)