Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arlen Ness Big Sucker Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010 | 06:42 AM
ejvette
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Arlen Ness Big Sucker Question

Yes I have had the Deluxe for a whole 3 days and already looking at some mods (already ordered saddlebags from hog deluxe) . I was thinking about ordering the Ness Big Sucker Stage I which even a mechanically challenged person like myself can install. The question: is there an ECM modification required to take advantage of this mod ? I see HD sells the screamin eagle Stage I air cleaner and they say an ECM mod is required. If I have to take it back to the dealer to do this should I just buy the screamin eagle stage I over the Ness ?

Old 10-12-2010 | 07:47 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior

They are basically the same thing. But as I'm finding out, you have to do some sort of fuel management as soon as you change anything related to the intake system. I think the Ness and the Screamin Eagle are almost identical.

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:06 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

The Arlen Ness filter is a K&N which is superior to the stage one filter harley uses.Harley changed the filter years back for the stage 1 .The new one they use now is known to break apart and get small holes in it that can sometimes get sucked into the motor.Unless they have changed it again?You will need some type fuel processor when changing the air filter.Go with the Arlen Ness.

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:35 AM
challutz
Cruiser

Ive had the Big Sucker now for about 4 months. I wish I would have went with the Doherty. The problems ive had witht the big sucker are : The first one they sent me the backing plate cracked , now the one i have now leaks oil. They have little holes that come from the crankcase vents that are supposed to channel the oil back into the throat to be burned off . However what the oil does is run down the little channel and drip down to the bottom of the filter and eventually it will soak through and drip on the motor. I now take mine apart every couple hundred miles and wipe off the oil before it soaks the filter and makes a mess. Doherty Machine has a much better solution to this problem check them out. I will be switching to one soon. To answer your remapping question Yes you will have to remap the bike if you change the intake. Otherwise you risk running too lean . Hope this helps

Old 10-12-2010 | 10:42 AM
hotshot
Tourer

Hey folks, what do you recommend in filter choices for the Arlen Ness Big Sucker... K&N and how often do you replace it? What about recharging the Ness (original filter) how often do you recharge it with the oil or liquid that they offer to for "recharging". I put the Big Sucker on my Ultra about 5k miles ago.... haven't touched it and have been happy.

Old 10-12-2010 | 10:46 AM
dyebartdie
Road Captain

get the big sucker and a fuel moto power commander and you'll be set.

Old 10-12-2010 | 11:00 AM
ejvette
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyebartdie
get the big sucker and a fuel moto power commander and you'll be set.
If I got a fuel moto power commander does the bike then need to be dyno tuned ?

Old 10-12-2010 | 07:35 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ejvette
If I got a fuel moto power commander does the bike then need to be dyno tuned ?
Nope. Fuel Moto will load a canned map for your set-up... works great! Give them a ring, they will explain all over the phone to ya.

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:18 PM
hotshot
Tourer

I had my PCIII put on and Dyno'ed.... The download for the PCIII was very close to the final Dyno run. But I did gain a little better map and about 4 hp and 5 ft lbs of torque with the Dyno over the download PC map. The dyno run also allowed for a near perfect tune on the fuel/air mixture. Was it necessary, nope. But my bike has never run better. Cooler, more torque, more HP and it's happy ! Makes me happy ! :-)

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:29 PM
peppi
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hotshot
Hey folks, what do you recommend in filter choices for the Arlen Ness Big Sucker... K&N and how often do you replace it? What about recharging the Ness (original filter) how often do you recharge it with the oil or liquid that they offer to for "recharging". I put the Big Sucker on my Ultra about 5k miles ago.... haven't touched it and have been happy.

The K&N filters just gets cleaned, not replaced. If the ness has a rechargeable filter as opposed to just cleanable, cleaning it is dependent on the miles you travel and conditions. Usually once a season under normal conditions should do the trick. You can use the K&N cleaning and oiling kits to treat the rechargeable filters that get oiled but there are some like the HD stage 1 that just get cleaned and not oiled.

I like the K&N filters for most all stage 1 units.

http://www.knfilters.com/clningacc.htm

Last edited by peppi; 10-12-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Arlen Ness Big Sucker Question