Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back end lighting question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Back end lighting question

OK so I'm still researching my winter Bones project. I've already installed the HD run/turn/brake gizmo to my back end. When I install (swing arm mounted) my $40 ebay fender there will be no place for a tail light. Will the run/turn/brake HD turn signals be enough to be legal? All the aftermarket LED lights say they are not DOT approved. What does that mean?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM
felixsum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rocker uses turn signals as a stoplight so I don't think it will be a problem. Using non-DOT led's could lead to a fix it ticket depending on the personality and the type of day the citing officer has.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

I use the r/t/b and no rear brake tail light with Custom Dynamics cluster LED's. They are DOT approved and will amaze you at how BRIGHT they are.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Ah KumaRide, if only it was true! Pasted from their website:

Dynamic Clusters are NOT Dot approved, for off road or show use only.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If your going to use the run/turn/brake module with the stock turn signals (w/red lens). DO NOT USE LED's. red or otherwise.
Nearly all of the LED"s made for the rear turn signals (3156 or 1156) being single element pieces show very little difference between being on (run) and either the brake or turn function.
If you want to use the turn signals for all three functions your much better off using high grade filament bulbs because they will show a greater difference between being on in the run mode and the brake/turn functions.
Remember the name of the game is to be seen and understood.
If you hit the brakes and the tail lights are not different enough in brightness to tell the jerk behind you, talking on his or her cell phone, your stopping, your screwed.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 10-09-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
If your going to use the run/turn/brake module with the stock turn signals (w/red lens). DO NOT USE LED's. red or otherwise.
Nearly all of the LED"s made for the rear turn signals (3156 or 1156) being single element pieces show very little difference between being on (run) and either the brake or turn function.
If you want to use the turn signals for all three functions your much better off using high grade filament bulbs because they will show a greater difference between being on in the run mode and the brake/turn functions.
Remember the name of the game is to be seen and understood.
If you hit the brakes and the tail lights are not different enough in brightness to tell the jerk behind you, talking on his or her cell phone, your stopping, your screwed.
Thanks Citoriplus

I'll stick with what I have. Besides, it CHEAPER that way!!!!!

Old 10-11-2010, 12:43 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
Thanks Citoriplus

I'll stick with what I have. Besides, it CHEAPER that way!!!!!
Your welcome and your right using the stock filament type bulbs will be cheaper and a lot easier to replace if your out on the road someplace.

I found out about the lack of dual brightness in LED's because I tried that trick with my bike. Got a pair of Kury LED's off e-bay and after I put them in they looked nearly the same if they were in the run mode or brake mode in daylight. After dark there was a difference but they didn't really "grab" your attention the way I wanted them to.
The turn function worked OK (except they blinked too fast) because they turned on and off.
So I 'modified' the modules wiring to eliminate the run function and I'm much happier with them. Now when I hit the brake I get the Tri-Bar and both turn signals turn very bright red and anyone behind me has NO doubt I'm stopping.
One happy result of the rewiring is that the turn function now operates/flashes at the normal rate without the need for a load equalizer.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
Ah KumaRide, if only it was true! Pasted from their website:

Dynamic Clusters are NOT Dot approved, for off road or show use only.
They are DOT approved. You looked at the wrong ones. They have lots of choices.

" Genesis LED Turns Signals Receive DOT Approval

Street Magic Bullet Style & Flat LED Turns Signals in Both Amber and Red are now DOT Approved"

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...gnal_retro.htm

http://www.customdynamics.com/boss_h...rn_signals.htm

http://www.customdynamics.com/genesi...t_approved.htm

I respectfully disagree. Get comments all the time on my run and brake lights which consist of two cluster led's only - no brake tail light. Try Custom Dynamics, I here Radiantz are great also. A Badlanders r/t/b makes it work even better.

Last edited by KumaRide; 10-11-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:35 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Got a pair of Kury LED's off e-bay and after I put them in they looked nearly the same if they were in the run mode or brake mode in daylight.
Forgot to mention, I had a Kury LED rear brake tail light. The Kury led's were dull compared to the CD's. Sold the Kury after installing the Custom Dynamics led's...