Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking fork oil again!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took it back to the stealership today. The tech that checked it the other day addmitted that he just checked it and did not replace it because it looked ok. I let him have it and told him to replace it like I had asked in the first place. Sad to say that it's hard to find anyone these days that takes pride in there work. So I was charged for nothing the first time, I made it very clear that I am not paying for them to replace the seal.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Santo
I took it back to the stealership today. The tech that checked it the other day addmitted that he just checked it and did not replace it because it looked ok. I let him have it and told him to replace it like I had asked in the first place. Sad to say that it's hard to find anyone these days that takes pride in there work. So I was charged for nothing the first time, I made it very clear that I am not paying for them to replace the seal.
If it doesn't work this time I think Id just take everything apart, clean it up, inspect it and put it back together, obviously replacing all the seals and copper washers, like dynabob did. As long as your capable of doing this forget the indys and especially the dealers.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 ^ you have any ?s on it pm me i shoot ya my number and call (its easier that way) but yea dont let em charge ya for the seal install thats BS

Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

Thanks for all your help guys. DyNaBoB i might be taking you up on your offer.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:32 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

hit me up if ya have a leak after the stealer said he fixed it ...we can trouble shoot it for ya thats wut this awesome forums all about bro...

Old 10-09-2010, 08:32 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,372 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by DyNaBoB
wow, the dealer took the seals off to look.....why not put new ones in when he put back together...they are the price of a case o beer....why do all that work and not call to see if you wanted new ones put in....hmmmm
What the hell kind of beer do you get for 11.00 a case Bob?Must be some good chit

Old 10-09-2010, 08:45 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

well mine cost 20 bucks a case but i do have an xtra set of seals sitting here too....lol i always buy in twos, just in case....lol...how ya been G

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

Update.... I went to the stealership today and the service guy told me that they haddn't started on the fork seal yet, I told him I wasen't suprized. To make a long story short I brought it home and replaced the seal myself and so far no leaks. It turns out the seal washer was installed upside down with the flat side up. Im a bit confused, the manual says in one section add 12.9 oz of oil and then I found in another area that states ad 16.oz. Whats the right amout? Can anyone chime in?

Last edited by Santo; 10-12-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:40 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Santo
Update.... I went to the stealership today and the service guy told me that they haddn't started on the fork seal yet, I told him I wasen't suprized. To make a long story short I brought it home and replaced the seal myself and so far no leaks. It turns out the seal washer was installed upside down with the flat side up. Im a bit confused, the manuel says in one section add 12.9 oz of oil and then I found in another area that states ad 16.oz. Whats the right amout? Can anyone chime in?
I just did my fork oil a couple of months ago...I only put like 11oz's in them. I put back exactly what I took out...when I drained the oil it was like 11.00000000000001oz's, or something like that.

Either way, I'd say 16oz's has got to be way to much...even 12.9 sounds high unless the fork is completely dry.

My bike is an 04, not sure if there are any changes in capacity between yours and mine.

That probably doesn't help, but I though I'd just throw it out there.

Last edited by JayDee5150; 10-11-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

12.9 is what my manual says, but like JayDee says, make sure all the old oil is drained all the way out.

Drew

Quick Reply: Leaking fork oil again!! HELP!!!