Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a couple problems...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I got a couple problems...Help!

I finally got my bike back together last Saturday and left Sunday for the beach. We've been down here all week and after record rainfall/flooding I finally got to ride a little.
I have two issues...

1st issue- There is a noise coming from the front wheel. I have a new tire, new PM rotor, and new HD brake pads. When I apply front brakes at say...above 20 mph there is a buzzing noise that sounds like a tree frog (sorry best I could come up with)? If I am slow and about to stop I can't hear it...only when I have some speed. I was thinking the new rotor was wearing in but the rear has a new set up also and it's not making any noise.

2nd issue- I have a whining/buzzing coming from the rear wheel.(Very different form the front). I have determined it is coming from the belt. At first I thought the wheel was off center and was rubbing on the side of the pulley but now I think the belt may be too tight. Way back I had lowering bolts on the bike and eventually went with a Shotgun Shock Air Ride. My belt tension was set with the lowering bolts installed so when the air ride went on the tension was fine. This time when everything went back on I'm wondering if the HD wrench set the tension at full height and when I lower it the belt is too tight and whines? I can just about get it to quit by raising the back up all the way and easing it forward but the noise picks up if my wife is on board and is much worse as I lower the bike.

We are headed back tomorrow and I'll get it back in next week. In the mean time I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the front brake is trying to just break in. Belt sounds like it is too tight from your description of it getting worse as it's lowered. I wouldn't worry about the brake but I'd get the belt adjusted before coming back.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bro front is the rotor breaking in mine stopped after about a 4 days of a lot or riding bro

Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Bro front is the rotor breaking in mine stopped after about a 4 days of a lot or riding bro
That's what I thought at first also. I also have a new PM rotor and pads on the rear and it's not making any noise. I'm not disagreeing with you...I hope you're right. I just didn't understand why the front and not the rear.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:40 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When my bike was brand new the front brake made that noise for a couple thousand miles. Now it does not. I would give it some time. As far as the belt tension, I'll let others with more experience take that one. What you suggest makes sense.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Breaking in! Well I hope that's the case cause all the bikes I have bought new from Harley didn't make that noise.... Guess Harley rode all the bikes and broke them in for me!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 AM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The front is breaking in. My Deuce did the same thing ( tree frog) for a bit but then stopped. As far as the rear?? Sounds like the belt but let your HD figure it out.
BTW, How is Mebane ,NC? I always wanted to get there as my last name is Mebane also and ancestors are from there. Sharp ride by the way. Looks good.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you suspect the belt being too tight in lower "riding" positions, then raise it up to "normal" hight and take it for a ride. Does the noise go away? Yes, adjust the belt, No, keep looking.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:34 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

The front brake is breaking in, the rear is too, but its not as easy to hear the rear one.
I would loosen the belt a tad before I rode it for any long distance. Running it too tight will eat up the teeth or lead to premature breakage. Either option could leave you stranded out in the middle of no where.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll bet you added Lyndall brake pads. I noticed the same when I added mine and a nice new rotor. Slight buzzing noise on front brake pressure. That is normal. As far as the rear noise, fI will have to do some research, but it is easy to check and adjust belt tension.

Drew

Quick Reply: I got a couple problems...Help!