Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why cancel the FLSTI ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006 | 07:31 PM
jagerviking
|
Tourer
Default why cancel the FLSTI ???

They only made it for one year? what kind of bull is that !! I dont believe they gave the bike a chance.

Old 09-13-2006 | 08:09 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: why cancel the FLSTI ???

Interesting.. Yeah they sure did drop it from the 07 lineup.

I'll bet due to sales.. I think 05 and 06 were years for the deluxe.. That bike sold like cold beer in the desert.. like hotcakes at a lumberjack convention.

The heritage got squeezed between the fatboy, deluxe, heritage classic and springer classic. They had to thin out the FL softail lineup a bit and it pretty much boiled down to sales. Folks wanted more chrome and stuff and as a fatboy owner I gotta admit.. That deluxe is just dang gorgeous.. only bike in the entire line I like the paint schemes on.

Not knocking your scoot though.. I think the FLST has ALL kinds of potential.. more of an open pallet for customizing. Less stuff to take off to replace if you wanted to do all kinds of things. Plus it's clean looking, which is one of the things folks like about fatboys. I think they wanted to offer a new bike that was as true to the original Evo heritage that they could and it is that.. They just bombed it's sales potential by also adding the deluxe in there with it. Chrome sells for a pretty shiney penny.. no pun intended.

Old 09-13-2006 | 08:23 PM
jackhammer
Tourer

I agree with babs. The timing sucked for the FLSTI with the Deluxe in the same showroom no one would look at the FLSTI. I personally like the FLSTI better than the rest because of the price and a good bike to customize. I am pi$$ed to see it go after one year mainly because I was looking at possily buying one.

Jagerviking consider yourself one of the lucky ones, you have a collector perhaps.

Old 09-13-2006 | 08:33 PM
buzzingstrings
Road Captain

I too have the FLSTI, and have wondered the same thing.
Who knows, maybe it will work out in our favor and make the bike a rare, hard to find highly sought out model in the next few years......maybe.
When I ride up on it, most of the veteran H.D. guys often have to ask, "what model is that?"
I was drawn to it by its "clean look", and the lower price! I love her, she is one of the best decisions i have made in like 2 or 3 years! (imho of course)

Old 09-13-2006 | 08:37 PM
jagerviking
|
Tourer

I am in hopes of that as well! m aybe one day it may be worth something because of the one year manufacturing. but then again, I also own a 64 rambler classic, and it isn't worth a damn thing!!! lol

Old 09-13-2006 | 08:46 PM
Mike05
Tourer

Could be the FLST is pretty much a FatBoy with a big front fender. The models were too close to being the same. Seems the FatBoy is the more popular model, so there could be some reasioning in that.

Old 09-13-2006 | 08:55 PM
buzzingstrings
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Mike05

Could be the FLST is pretty much a FatBoy with a big front fender. The models were too close to being the same. Seems the FatBoy is the more popular model, so there could be some reasioning in that.
true....fatboy was the bike i was looking to purchase, back when i was looking. but, that solid front tire, I had doubts about in the back of my mind! thats the reason it was love at first sight, when i spied the FLSTI

Old 09-14-2006 | 01:06 AM
lapisblue
Tourer

The reason I bought a new FLSTI was because of the silver motor and Black oil bag.......Can't stand a Black motor.

Old 09-14-2006 | 12:14 PM
nikonf8
Supporter

My dealer has a FLSTI that they totally customized wow is it a looker beautiful bike I wish I had a picture of it would defiantly be a contender for BOTM. I agree that the deluxe had a good corner on the market in the first two years it was out I believe it was Harley's number one seller. The fact is that the FLSTI was priced right for the guy who wanted to do his thing

Old 09-14-2006 | 12:23 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah and the fatboy has the chromed out black engine like the other FL's.
I think there is a smaller niche of folks that don't care for the chrome on black but rather the more "raw" look of the silver / cast.. like on the standard softail FXST.. I think someone thought, "hey we have a standard FX, why not a standard FL like the original".. Looked good on paper, but the guy across the hall had designs of a full blown chromed out nostalgic beauty in two tone colors with smooth goodies on the fender tips and lightbar and seat. They collided on the showroom floor.. probably even spanked the fatboy sales I'll bet. It's all about timing and trend. The flst wasn't out when I picked up my fatboy but I thought if it were, I could do a sort of sani-exile-ish look with it easier because of the cast engine.. darn! Imagine if they had offered it in these powdercoat "denim" paintjobs, without the swoosh but something simple on the tank.. oh man! Hey Willie G, gimme a job in the marketing/design dept. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: why cancel the FLSTI ???