Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 FXSTB Night train front Brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Duro
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 FXSTB Night train front Brakes.

i replaced the front brakes in mid august due to a failed inspection.
install went great, and they do what the need to do!

i took it out last night to get an after work ride in, and started hearing a new noise.
it sounds like one of the brake pads is loose inside the caliper. The front brakes still work fine and stop the bike fully

does the screw that holds the pad to the plate in the caliper usually come loose? and how can i avoid this is in the future.

i dont have a buddy with and truck and no money for a tow. Will this be too dangerous to ride to the shop?

---------------they look like this---------------

Old 09-25-2010, 11:33 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What kinda a noise are you hearing??? Like the pads are rubbing while you are riding? Or a clunk? if it's like a costant rubbing as you are riding more than likely you need to clean the caliper if the pads were really worn maybe the piston is'nt moving as freely as it should be?

Old 09-25-2010, 02:56 PM
marissa
6th Gear

If those exact pads are the ones you replaced then they are the wrong type for a 99 stock night train I am 99% sure the correct style are more rectangular and have 2 holes for the brake pins to secure the pad in the calliper ,I would not drive the bike until this is fixed as the front wheel may lock up unexpectidly.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Duro
6th Gear

those are not the exact pads that i put on the bike, the pads i put on were the ones from my local Harley parts dept. i was just using those for a shape comparison.

there is a rubbing sound. but that happened even with the old pads. it sounds like the pad came loose and is knocking around inside the caliper, i hear it especially when i hit a bump.

i didnt have time to rip the brakes apart the other night but the only thing i can think of is that the screw holding the pad to the brake came out/loose.

which brings me to my next question. does the pad need that gets the screw need to be threaded? or does it come out of the package that way?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM
marissa
6th Gear

The pads themselves are not threaded however they do go in the caliper a specific way,there are two raised points above the holes in the backing plate on one of the pads and one raised point on the other pad. They are held in with two 1/4 in. 12 point threaded pins .Be sure these pins go through the holes in both pads,sometimes you need to use a awl or small screwdriver to line up the holes for the pin. Don't loosen the three larger bolts. On the front left side of the bike the pad with two tabs goes on the outboard side of the caliper .I thought all the brake pads for 2000-2006 are all the same with the exception of the springer front end .However I see in the manual they show two different style pads . figure 1-18 in the service manual shows the difference,they look very similar and may even be interchangable however the manual clearly states they are different .The manual shows pads for the REAR of the FXST,-B,-.S to be different from the rest of the models . it may be possible these were installed by mistake. You really need to beg borrow or steal a copy of the service manual to see the difference. Good luck!

Last edited by marissa; 09-27-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Duro
6th Gear

Marissa, i appreciate the input, but i think you may be thinking of the wrong kind of brakes... and/or bike. here is a schematic i found of my front caliper setup.

check out part numbers 114, 108 and 24.

i dont know how to ask this question any clearer.

but does the screw hole in #114 already come threaded in the brake pad? or does it need to be tapped?. i tore it apart today and it looks like the screw got stripped and fell out, leaving my pad loose in the caliper.

Originally Posted by marissa
The pads themselves are not threaded however they do go in the caliper a specific way,there are two raised points above the holes in the backing plate on one of the pads and one raised point on the other pad. They are held in with two 1/4 in. 12 point threaded pins .Be sure these pins go through the holes in both pads,sometimes you need to use a awl or small screwdriver to line up the holes for the pin. Don't loosen the three larger bolts. On the front left side of the bike the pad with two tabs goes on the outboard side of the caliper .I thought all the brake pads for 2000-2006 are all the same with the exception of the springer front end .However I see in the manual they show two different style pads . figure 1-18 in the service manual shows the difference,they look very similar and may even be interchangable however the manual clearly states they are different .The manual shows pads for the REAR of the FXST,-B,-.S to be different from the rest of the models . it may be possible these were installed by mistake. You really need to beg borrow or steal a copy of the service manual to see the difference. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM
marissa
6th Gear

Doro; I have been away for a while,sorry for the late reply. I can't see your schematic to check those part numbers ,but the pads are not threaded .Sounds like you just lost the pin and the pads are bouncing making a racket. I have a 2000 fxstb I thought they would be identical. Nothing needs to be tapped ,seems like you only need a new pin and your back in business. Happy motoring. - Marissa

Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Duro
6th Gear

Hmm, what happened to my link!!!! anywhere here is it!

your bikes front brake setup is completely different.

http://www.bikebandit.com/1999-harle...m1511sch153356

Old 03-31-2011, 03:49 PM
seakure
3rd Gear
Default 1996 FLSTC front brakes

does anyone have any input on this subject. i went to a 21 inch rim on the front of my bike, utilizing the same pads because they were in great shape however now i am experiencing a similar thing. I believe the pad which sits on the caliper is flopping around in there, when i put on the brakes it goes away. is the caliper not coming as far out as it should to hold the pad firmly against the disk? should i bleed the brakes? did i put the wheel on incorrectly?

what are the instruction to put a wheel back on? specifically, do i tighten the axle all the way up before putting on the shock end cap??

Thanks in advance!!