Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers backrest - are they really that great?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purecountry13b
Don't mean to high jack the thread, but JakesDad1 how did you do the backrest on the bones springer seat? Please, oh please, please tell me.
Well..............
The secret is to start with a mustang rider backrest and a piece of steel. Bend the steel to match the seat pan and bolt into the existing hardware. Viola rider backrest. I will post pictures

Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an Ultimate with Rider Backrest and thought I loved it but it pushed me way too far forward. That seat was better without the backrest but still too far forward. I changed to the Mustang Wide Touring with Rider Backrest (Two Piece) and it was much better as far as letting me sit back further, but not quite enough. I took off the backrest and Holy Crap, it was perfect. I still use it for a highway cruise longer than 2 hours, but normally it will spend most of that trip in the bags. The Mustang seat is just so much more comfortable than the Ultimate that I really don't need the extra support.

Oh and of course the Heritage has a shield. Bugs in South Florida don't play, I get out of their way as much as I can.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Yes and yes.
Ditto and Ditto

Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Hockeystick.... thanks for your reply, I ended up ordering the mustang seat with the backrest. I will post my opnion once I get it installed.

BTW I also had a 1997 VN1500 at one stage - what a great bike that was.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer

A drivers backrest is a must

Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,107 Likes on 5,313 Posts

Originally Posted by fcsallan
I had an Ultimate with Rider Backrest and thought I loved it but it pushed me way too far forward. That seat was better without the backrest but still too far forward. I changed to the Mustang Wide Touring with Rider Backrest (Two Piece) and it was much better as far as letting me sit back further, but not quite enough. I took off the backrest and Holy Crap, it was perfect. I still use it for a highway cruise longer than 2 hours, but normally it will spend most of that trip in the bags. The Mustang seat is just so much more comfortable than the Ultimate that I really don't need the extra support.
You might like to know that Mustang sells an offset backrest post for $25, which would allow you to sit further back. See it here on Mustang's website.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Keale
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought they were dumb 'til I rode my buddie's Road Glide with one and it was like heaven!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keale
I always thought they were dumb 'til I rode my buddie's Road Glide with one and it was like heaven!
Thats what I'm hoping for! Ordered the Mustang, but there is a 2 week wait on all mustang seats at the moment so it will be a while before I get it fitted and tested out.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 AM
roofer
Road Master

I had the Mustang Sport touring seat with a backrest and it was a very good seat

Attached Thumbnails Drivers backrest - are they really that great?-bike-pic.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Hey Hockeystick.... thanks for your reply, I ended up ordering the mustang seat with the backrest. I will post my opnion once I get it installed.

BTW I also had a 1997 VN1500 at one stage - what a great bike that was.
Loved my ~V~ classic.

Attached Thumbnails Drivers backrest - are they really that great?-image_037.jpg   Drivers backrest - are they really that great?-image_050.jpg  

Quick Reply: Drivers backrest - are they really that great?