Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers backrest - are they really that great?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mustang seats on 3 previous HD models with backrests and I won't leave home without it. Of course I have the option of riding it without around town.....

Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 PM
AusMongrel
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!! My Mustang just turned up today - so I should have an opinion soon enough!!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Hey phantom, I like what you've done to your Heritage.... true duals with fish tails are next on my list.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by AusMongrel
Nice!! My Mustang just turned up today - so I should have an opinion soon enough!!
Looking forward to your opinion... post up some pics if you can!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:54 PM
agedwards63
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a longer trip it's worth a million bucks (with highway pegs)

Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 PM
AusMongrel
Cruiser

Ok - Here are some pics. I have not ridden with it yet, as the weather is a bit crap.

I love the look, and from sitting on it, it feels very soft and feels like I am a little lower and back than stock.

This is the SPORTS Tourer - not the vintage wide. I wanted the skinnier seat.

I have the passenger seat too, and it does take some pushing and shoving to get it on, but it fits OK too.

Last edited by AusMongrel; 10-10-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:39 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

For my normal riding, I don't use a backrest and I am ok with that. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip and I decided to do it old style. My son had made me a custom sissy bar and I had my duffle bag tied to my sissy bar and just leaned back against that and it saved me a lot of lower back pain. Either way you decide to do it, a backrest is a good thing on longer rides.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:49 PM
AusMongrel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
For my normal riding, I don't use a backrest and I am ok with that. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip and I decided to do it old style. My son had made me a custom sissy bar and I had my duffle bag tied to my sissy bar and just leaned back against that and it saved me a lot of lower back pain. Either way you decide to do it, a backrest is a good thing on longer rides.
In and around town, I don't bother with the backrest. But when I hit the hwy for hours, it sure helps. If I had a windshield, I probably would not need the backrest, so I guess it is one or the other.

I like how the Mustang backrest comes out in 1 second. You just grab it and pull it out.

The ONLY draw back to that is.... if someone has a Mustang seat and NO backrest, yours is easily had while it sits in the parking lot.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 AM
AusMongrel
Cruiser

UPDATE - Just cam back from a short ride to a buddies place and back, and I am very happy with the new seat. Seems nice and soft and the narrow nose means I can get to the ground easy. The backrest works really well, and has plenty of adjustment. Will take a few rides to get a feel for where is the right spot.

I did ride without the backrest, and this is where I really like this seat. Because of the deep bucket of this seat, I now don't feel like I am going to slip off the back like I do with the stock seat.

I like to ride with the seat setup as a solo seat, and at hwy speeds it always felt like I was going to slide off the back of the stock seat. ( I am only 64kgs) But not now.

I like the look and the feel. The seat is material is nice and grippy, so you don't slide around on it.

All in all, so far so good.

Cheers
Mongrel

Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Backrests are great for long trips. On the other hand they give bikes an old man's look.

Quick Reply: Drivers backrest - are they really that great?