Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

making Vance & Hines pipes louder

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010 | 01:14 AM
ratWynx
|
6th Gear
Default making Vance & Hines pipes louder

I have a '97 Fatboy - FLSTF with V&H Big Radius 2-into-2 pipes.

A buddy of mine has a 2007 Road King and he had the baffles taken out. His sounds meaty and loud.

How can I make my Harley sound louder or beefier?

I don't necessarily want to take the baffles out due to loss of low end power or back pressure [as I've read]. I've read that it will and won't effect the performance and power in other forums. How will it actually effect the performance?

I also read that it is definitely advised to NOT remove baffles in the Big Radius 2-2.

I also have concerns with the sound not being what I want and having destroyed baffles and unable to replace them.

Has anybody done so with these pipes?

What else can be done, maybe to the engine? They don't make slip on's for this particular exhaust.

ANY AND ALL ADVISE APPRECIATED.

Last edited by ratWynx; 09-23-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2010 | 02:36 AM
coronerrpm
Road Master

I went threw the same thing. I have the V&H big radius 2-2 on my 96" fatboy and pulled the baffles and though it was louder every time I would shift is sounded like crap. I then got a set of new big thunder baffles off ebay and threw them in and it is alot better. More of a deeper hot rod sound at idle. I mounted the bct 6" from the end of the pipe as per there directions. It is louder and really sounds good when you twist the throttle on the highway. Check out there web site http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/...rformance.html the one for those pipes is #2002. You can also look in the classified section here as they pop up often if you decide to go that route.

Good luck

Last edited by coronerrpm; 09-23-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2010 | 07:25 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Big City thunder baffles are what you need as coronerpm has said above.

Drew

Old 09-23-2010 | 07:34 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior

BCT baffles

Old 09-23-2010 | 09:48 AM
YZ Guy
Tourer

I cut my 13 inch baffles down to 9 inches. Bike sounds great and no loss of power. And the cost was zero. I would try cutting down your baffles first, if you don't like the sound you can always get new baffles.

Old 09-23-2010 | 11:47 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

Why would you want to make those pipes louder? I went with the BSS just because V&H themselves recommended I don't get the BR 2-2 because the cops ticket here in CA in the beach areas. Those 2-2 are supposedly already around 102 dbs. I think they sound great right out of the box!! But I have to admit, I really like the BSS pipes too. I get compliments on their looks and sound all the time. Can't go wrong with V&H.

Old 09-23-2010 | 01:23 PM
FATCAT_01
Cruiser

I actually have a set of V&H Side Shots, currently am running a ProPipe while I have these off the bike. I had no baffles in them before, but was just the back firing was somewhat annoying...so last night i fixed the bottom pipe that had drug on the ground, so I could reinstall a baffle (pipe was slightly ovalled out). I also cut the baffles that I had for it, (I believe they were the quite baffles) and reinstalled them in the pipe. Hoping to get them re-mounted before the weekend, to test if they are better, or worse....

Old 09-23-2010 | 03:59 PM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

I want to go the other direction - these black pipes are loud. Fuzz here in town is not a deal, I just prefer em not so loud. A bit more low end wouldnt hurt.

Old 09-23-2010 | 05:00 PM
Hammy
Tourer

You can take out the baffles and remove any sound deadening packing, if that doesn't sound loud enough, shorten the baffle, if that doesn't work you can get the big city thunder baffles but they are kinda pricey.. khrome werks baffles are loud and will add some low end, and there are also baffle rings, I used these on the dyna I had with no baffles and they sounded great and gave just enough backpressure to boost mid range torque

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/441-...Nao=100&Ns=Non Gold Price|0&results=100#

I don't know what the pipe diameter is of your pipes so the baffles rings above may not fit your bike unless the big radius is a 2 1/4" pipe..

Old 09-23-2010 | 06:55 PM
rockerz
Road Master

I went Big City also. recommended.

Quick Reply: making Vance & Hines pipes louder