Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer scratched my chrome

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
Default dealer scratched my chrome

So while I was getting my 103 kit installed, the guys managed to scratch almost all the chrome in and around the engine. I can tell that some of it is from wiping oil and stuff off with an old rag, and some of it is wrench marks. And one deep little nick that is from??? Anyways, none of it is really bad, but I can't help but notice it every time i look at the bike, and when the sun hits my nice clean chrome... well you know what it's like. So what would you guys do and what would you expect from the dealer? I'm always so careful with cleaning the bike, and there was hardly a mark on it.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I suppose that all depends on your relationship with the Stealer. My dealer comes out and takes a good look at all aspects of the bike before taking it inside and if there are any complaints before it leaves he has something to compare to. If this was done by yours you might have a leg to stand on, if it is your word against his, we go back to how good of a relationship you have with them.

So, did you bring it to their attention when you picked it up? If not, you can bring it back, but there is that you say, they say thing.

It can't hurt to bring it to their attention but time is your enemy here.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you did a walk around prior to the rebuild, and brought the scratches to your dealer's attention afterwards, I'd say your out of luck. Maybe you could talk to them about the scratches and if you drop a lot of cash there, they may be willing to give you a discount on your next purchase.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

I know the owner pretty well. I already talked to him, and he said to take it in and he'll make it right. I think he feels kinda stupid that his guys done it. I'm just wondering if you'd expect a chrome piece to be replaced for a few little scratches, or am I over reacting?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I don't think you are over reacting. You paid for the chrome and it wasn't scratched when you bought it. If it wasn't scratched when you took the bike in for the work it shouldn't be scratched when you pick it up.

I was a Harley Tech 20 years ago and we would expect to have to replace any part on a customers bike if we phuked it up. Wasn't even a topic for discussion. If you damaged it you paid to make it right. Hell of a motivator to be careful!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same thing happen but I didn't notice it until I got home. I called the service manager and he said he would fix it if I could show any sort of proof that it happened while in his shop. Which is fair, but I was hoping he would take my word for it.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
I know the owner pretty well. I already talked to him, and he said to take it in and he'll make it right.
you are very lucky there that you know him

I think he feels kinda stupid that his guys done it. I'm just wondering if you'd expect a chrome piece to be replaced for a few little scratches, or am I over reacting?
and yes
you payed good money for your bike that you worked for and it should be taken care of
you have very right to be upset about it no you are not over reacting one bit

Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would want it fixed. I ALWAYS walk around my bike after it comes out of the shop. They see me do it, so they know how meticulous I am. Hopefully it works out for you.....

Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 PM
LRHD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take some pics before you drop it off and walk the bike before they start and agree what condition it is in.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

well there should be no question. the wrench marks are on parts the he knows i never would have had off, and even the new chrome pushrod covers have the same cleaning scratches that the rest of the damaged parts have... anyways, it is good that I come from a small town, and know the owner. Just thought they would take a little better care of that stuff. I didn't take it to "Joe blows discount bike shop"

Quick Reply: dealer scratched my chrome