Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$999 for 103" Deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts
Default $999 for 103" Deal or no deal?

So the local HD dealer has a thing going on where they can turn your TC96 into a 103" for $999 plus tax but it includes labor charges as well.

The sign says they use cast pistons and re-bore your old jugs and all the work is done in house. They also install manual compression releases and new gaskets. They dont port the heads or do any cam work (its extra) but for whats done to it seems like a pretty nice deal.

Any input on this? I know cams would be a good addition later on. I already have pipes and intake plus the super tuner as well. The only thing I see bad about it is the fact that they dont do cams, porting and the pistons are cast and not forged but if they offer a warranty or something I cant see why it would be a bad deal. Maybe a nice project for this winter.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 PM
RjCapp
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to a 103 and by the time I am finished engine parts it will cost 3300.00. Id say 999.00 is a good deal.

TMAN Stage 2 Street Eliminator Pro 103" Touring Kit W/ 625 Cams, and Gasket Kit
Compression releases
HP Inc Bored Throttle Body W/ New Intake Machined to It
Injectors
Baisley Roller Rockers
Woods Lifters
Zippers Taper Pro or Perfect Fit Push Rods
D&D Fat Cats W/ Wrapped Performance Baffle
D&D Fat Cat Ghost Pipe
Inner Cam Bearings
Baisley Oil Spring Bypass Spring
Spark Plugs
HD Chrome Oil Filter
Lucas 20/50 Oil
Barnett Extra Plate Clutch Kit
SE HD compensator
Andrews 30 Tooth Drive Pulley
HD #1 40056-07 Drive Belt
Primary Oil and Gaskets
Upgrade SERT to TTS Master tune
Labor to install parts, break in motor, and tune

Last edited by RjCapp; 09-15-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Kadorja
So the local HD dealer has a thing going on where they can turn your TC96 into a 103" for $999 plus tax but it includes labor charges as well.

The sign says they use cast pistons and re-bore your old jugs and all the work is done in house. They also install manual compression releases and new gaskets. They dont port the heads or do any cam work (its extra) but for whats done to it seems like a pretty nice deal.

Any input on this? I know cams would be a good addition later on. I already have pipes and intake plus the super tuner as well. The only thing I see bad about it is the fact that they dont do cams, porting and the pistons are cast and not forged but if they offer a warranty or something I cant see why it would be a bad deal. Maybe a nice project for this winter.
Great deal.jump all over it!!!I wouldn't let them tune it though,unless they had a good tuner.I rather take it to a private Indy for the tuning!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Nothing wrong with cast pistons; there are thousands of builds running SE cast pistons, trouble free so don't fret. See if you can get them to sweeten the deal with a set of SE211 pr SE259E cams. The will cost $300 from your dealer unless he discounts or you , or your dealer, can order them from Zanottis for $235; your dealer should sell them to you for the Zanotti's price. Have them install a Cometic .030" MLS head gasket instead of stock. Get her tuned and she should run good.

There are better aftermarket cam choices but I have assumed since this is a dealer package, H-D cams are the only option.

Headwork woud be nice but most dealers won't offer any warranty if you send your heads out for machine work. You can ride the bike in the new 103 configuration for a season and make replacing cams and headwrok for the next winter project.

It's not a bad deal, even if you have to pay for the cams.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Crossb0nes
Cruiser

Sounds like a good deal, I wouldn't worry about cast v. forged pistons, unless you running nitro or methanol ..... this a good read

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...s-pistons.html

Last edited by Crossb0nes; 09-15-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would jump on it, but fork out the extra money for cams now. It shouldn't add that much in labor, if anything, and you can re-use your factory push rods since they will have the top end apart already. No need to get the adjustable or easy install push rods....

Old 09-15-2010, 05:12 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master

Originally Posted by RjCapp
I am going to a 103 and by the time I am finished it will cost 7 grand.

TMAN Stage 2 Street Eliminator Pro Touring Kit W/ 625 Cams, and Gasket Kit
Compression releases
HP Inc Bored Throttle Body W/ New Intake Machined to It
Injectors
Baisley Roller Rockers
Woods Lifters
Zippers Taper Pro or Perfect Fit Push Rods
D&D Fat Cats W/ Wrapped Performance Baffle
D&D Fat Cat Ghost Pipe
Inner Cam Bearings
Baisley Oil Spring Bypass Spring
Spark Plugs
HD Chrome Oil Filter
Lucas 20/50 Oil
Barnett Extra Plate Clutch Kit
SE HD compensator
Andrews 30 Tooth Drive Pulley
HD #1 40056-07 Drive Belt
Primary Oil and Gaskets
Labor to install parts, break in motor, and tune

Id say 999.00 is a good deal.
Wow,I kind of think your in a bit much.Tou could buy the 120 for about $6,000 and put that right in your bike for cheaper than your 103ci.I think you should re-evaluate.What about your crank?? Are you going to address it??? What yr is your bike & what model is it????

Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 PM
RjCapp
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Wow,I kind of think your in a bit much.Tou could buy the 120 for about $6,000 and put that right in your bike for cheaper than your 103ci.I think you should re-evaluate.What about your crank?? Are you going to address it??? What yr is your bike & what model is it????
08 SG. Stock crank. Actually engine parts are $3300.00...I included clutches,gearing, compensator changes, labor, pipes, tune etc. and should not have. So im half the 120r cost including throttlebody and variuos performance parts you will not get with the 120r..... Im bad.

My point was that he can get a good deal and that the last few ponies = big $$$$$

Last edited by RjCapp; 09-15-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Alright well I may have to start saving some money now but I think ill be doing it. They're a pretty nice dealership and they've helped me out in the past with some questions Ive had so Ill be bringing my bike in tomorrow to ask them about it and see about having forward controls installed. I took my bike down the Tail of the Dragon over the weekend and dont have much of a floorboard left. Im gonna type up the whole trip in another post and have some good pics both on US 129 and down other roads.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with S&S 106 kit found it on ebay for $599+600 for install inc all gaskets and a break in tune

Quick Reply: $999 for 103" Deal or no deal?