Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$999 for 103" Deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had this conversation with my stealer yesterday. That conversation somehow ended with talking about an engine swap for the S&S 110. Hmmm, I start asking about a $1000 engine modification and somehow he wants me to get a $5000 motor. He's nuts, but anyway, they do the same job at my shop for about the same but that is only the start of the conversation. Yes, you can just do the bore, slugs upgrade to get the added cubes but once they are in there I can promise the upsell. Mine was suggesting cams, new oil system, hydro cam tensioner, pressure relief or better yet, new heads, then injectors and throttle body and a SERT. So again after starting the conversation at $1000 he had me quickly to $2000 and above.

It's all about money and what can you live with. Personally I wanted new jugs when I do this. I also want to do it myself but I know that is not for everyone.

For someone else to do this job, I think 1K is a fair deal and you WILL see some big improvements. Maybe not what it could do, but you will not be sorry. Since there are some extra tools needed, I would consider having them do the cam swap too depending on price. I know my mechanic from the stealer does work on the side, perhaps another way to save some cash if you have one guy that you trust.

We all agree that everything done at once is the best way to get big improvements in performance. Of course what defines "everything" would be up for debate.

Get what you can afford knowing that you can always improve on it if you so wish in the future. I have also found that most dealers have quite a few mechanics that love doing this kind of work. Since most of their work is oil changes and chrome add ons, they look for this work outside of the "office". Keep your eyes open and ask others in the area that have bikes that sound great, where they get their motor work done.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by WWECOUGAR
I'm not sayin you are not gonna get a bit more power, but it ain't gonna be much and it ain't worth one THOUSAND dollars TO ME. I don't think it's a good deal.
OK, let's break it down:

bore cylinders $150
cast pistons/rings 175
4 hours @75 300
tune 250
drill/install CRs 150
$1025

I think most agree that this is not a great deal, particularly if tuning is not included which has not been mentioned? No disagreement there. It may be a fair deal but not a great deal.

This is what you said:

"Extra cubic inches without extra breathing on an engine that isn't very powerful by modern standards doesn't seem like a good deal to me."

My post in response did not address whether or not this was a good deal but simply pointed out that more displacement does produce more power, good deal or not.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Great Gazoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our local stealer is throwing it in free with the purchase of a new bike.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
OK, let's break it down:

bore cylinders $150
cast pistons/rings 175
4 hours @75 300
tune 250
drill/install CRs 150
$1025

I think most agree that this is not a great deal, particularly if tuning is not included which has not been mentioned? No disagreement there. It may be a fair deal but not a great deal.

This is what you said:

"Extra cubic inches without extra breathing on an engine that isn't very powerful by modern standards doesn't seem like a good deal to me."

My post in response did not address whether or not this was a good deal but simply pointed out that more displacement does produce more power, good deal or not.
I'm not positive that he's getting a tune with that.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I'm not positive that he's getting a tune with that.
They would have to do some kind of tune to recalibrate the supertuner I would assume. Not a full dyno tune though down here an hour of work is $85 and a dyno tune is $370. I could probably go elsewhere and get the work done at cheaper cost but if it blows up down the road its my loss.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
They would have to do some kind of tune to recalibrate the supertuner I would assume. Not a full dyno tune though down here an hour of work is $85 and a dyno tune is $370. I could probably go elsewhere and get the work done at cheaper cost but if it blows up down the road its my loss.
Pretty sure that's where the "upsell" thing comes into play. LOL (Speculation here).

Ask them what they do in that regard, before making any decisions. Might be room for an ECM flash in that price.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, ya gonna do it? You've heard from the experts, real and imagined (LOL!)

Old 09-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Well right now it all pretty much depends on my car. I can (hopefully) throw a grand into it and have a 3rd vehicle (and my favorite of all my vehicles at that) up and running or I can put it into my bike and see if I can work on my car little by little. The more I think about it the less interested I am honestly. Yes more power is nice but it really doesnt do anything but make me get to 115mph a little bit faster than before and have the honor of saying it has a 103"

Of course my car is louder than my bike so who knows.... I may need to change that.