Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Night Train Owner---Welcome & Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
TheLaw
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike06train
The strutless fenders I've seen were beefed up inside in the area the strut would have been. They looked thick enough that you could drill the docking lugs right into the fender. Don't take my word for it. If I was going to do it I'd take a closer look first.
Good to know man....thanks.

LAW

Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Re: the RSD fender- be warned. I looked into it deeply and it turns out that you have to purchase the tank kit, the springer seat kit AND the fender kit. One doesn't fit without the other two.

I just put the Heartland EZ200 on my '08 Night Train and again- be warned- to achieve the look (close to the tire) that is displayed on their site, you need air ride or a suspension set-up which will allow you to fairly slam the bike. Otherwise you get what I have- an almost 3" gap between fender and tire.

I have the HD Profile shocks and Arlen Ness bolts threaded all the way to the end, and it's STILL not enough.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:23 PM
TheLaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by JY Kelly
Re: the RSD fender- be warned. I looked into it deeply and it turns out that you have to purchase the tank kit, the springer seat kit AND the fender kit. One doesn't fit without the other two.

I just put the Heartland EZ200 on my '08 Night Train and again- be warned- to achieve the look (close to the tire) that is displayed on their site, you need air ride or a suspension set-up which will allow you to fairly slam the bike. Otherwise you get what I have- an almost 3" gap between fender and tire.

I have the HD Profile shocks and Arlen Ness bolts threaded all the way to the end, and it's STILL not enough.
Fantastic info. That is the stuff we all need to know. Thanks again!

With that said, it looks like I may take some measurements and if that eBay fender fits the bill, do a little custom install work.

If anyone else has any ideas or experience with getting the "slammed" look (aka fender right on top of rear tire) with a RSD or Heartland "looking" style fender, please chime in!

LAW

Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

No problem, Law- this is what we're here for.

To be quite honest, I'm severely disappointed in how, after almost $2000 spent, I STILL don't have the look I am going for, which, apparantly, is what you're after as well. I feel that Heartland should be more forthcoming in what, exactly, needs to be done to have the fender hug (or at least get somewhat close) to the tire. Is it cooler than the Bobtail fender by light years? Absolutely. Does it fit like a glove? Totally. Is it a quality kit? Without a doubt. Does it achieve the "slammed" look that everyone who orders it is after? Not even close. And for the money they charge, it should.

As far as custom strutless fenders- be careful. I went down that road as well, and it turned out that the fender I bought, while a quality piece, didn't even come close to fitting my bike. Unless you're handy with a torch and lathes and presses, I'd be careful. Me, I can barely turn a screw, so I gotta pay people to do this work for me, which we all know, ain't cheap.

Tread lightly my friend.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:39 PM
TheLaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by JY Kelly
No problem, Law- this is what we're here for.

To be quite honest, I'm severely disappointed in how, after almost $2000 spent, I STILL don't have the look I am going for, which, apparantly, is what you're after as well. I feel that Heartland should be more forthcoming in what, exactly, needs to be done to have the fender hug (or at least get somewhat close) to the tire. Is it cooler than the Bobtail fender by light years? Absolutely. Does it fit like a glove? Totally. Is it a quality kit? Without a doubt. Does it achieve the "slammed" look that everyone who orders it is after? Not even close. And for the money they charge, it should.

As far as custom strutless fenders- be careful. I went down that road as well, and it turned out that the fender I bought, while a quality piece, didn't even come close to fitting my bike. Unless you're handy with a torch and lathes and presses, I'd be careful. Me, I can barely turn a screw, so I gotta pay people to do this work for me, which we all know, ain't cheap.

Tread lightly my friend.
Looks like I might just have to live with the Bobtail fender to get the functionality I must have.

Of course there are some stunning NT's on the site that are still rocking the stock fender.

That does leave me more scratch to spend elsewhere.....

LAW

Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

I thought about that, but I REALLY hate the Bobtail. Since I bought the bike, I've wanted the chopped, slammed look and I THOUGHT I was getting it with the Heartland. And I CAN have it... for another $500-$1500.

It never ends.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Ernie 06
Advanced

it takes some $ to mine to look good but is was all worth it in the long run

Attached Thumbnails New Night Train Owner---Welcome & Help!-006.jpg   New Night Train Owner---Welcome & Help!-051.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

Air ride, Ernie?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Ernie 06
Advanced

yup thats the only way to make it look right

Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Great info here.

Quick Reply: New Night Train Owner---Welcome & Help!