Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major problem during 1000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug45601

The boots are probably made in China so you can't blame that on Harley.
as long as they were bought at a harley dealership and have a harley logo on them , then yeah i think you can blame that on HD

take the damn boots back too , the worst they can do when you ask to have them replaced is say no

Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd let the dealer do the work, discuss your concerns with him, I've had oil leaks on my last two HD's, the bike's have come back better than new having had the motors torn down, the mechanics that I use realy do pay attention to detail, that's why I keep going back to my dealership

Reddog GB.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:12 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Can't add much to whats already been stated Believe the Lemon law applies to a problem dealer can't get right after 3 tries .. Or perhaps 3 problems have an issue with that has to be dealer serviced.. Anyhow think is not a bad idea to do a little upgrading while the labor is free tearing it down such as Cams, possibly Crankshaft upgrades..

Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the clunk is caused by loose engine mounts. why did you pick it up? I would leave it until it is fixed or replaced. your bank has influence because they dont want to finance issue. on the good side they will hand build you an engine. have the dealer call harley for a new motor. they may capture that one and send you a new one

Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Porosity in castings is the result of trapped gasses during the casting process and they do happen. I would bet you would win the lottery before you had another one with catastrophic results. Let the dealer handle it and don't worry about it.

The clunk in the suspension could be a number of things. Again let the dealer handle it.

The boots..... well made off shore like a ton of clothing on the market so the quality can/will vary.....

In short while your experience is an annoyance in the end I am sure all will work out for you.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually the quality of Harley's depends on events that the company is going through. For example, when the labor issues with the York plant were happening, we noticed bikes that have had missing parts, loose parts, even oil missing from the primary cases. And when they changed their paint process, the paint issues were enormous. The plant that makes the motors is going throught the same wage process as the York plant did. Hopefully it does not affect too many motors. As for quality issues, with a good setup techinicians we were able to correct the issues before the bike hit the floor. I noticed that few new bikes have returned for warranty issues because the quality has gotten better. So as long as the dealer is correcting the issue, you win. But on the bright side, I would suggest getting the motor work done, it would be free labor install. Could save you 10 to 15 hours of labor charges.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is unfortunate, however they will address it correctly. I would insist on something to ride for any extended amount of repair time. You purchased the bike to ride, not sit in a shop and get repaired for free.

In regards to Harley clothing, don't own a stitch of it. I am for ride, not the fashion show. Not my girlfriend on the other hand, we now have to stop at all Harley shops we see and buy something; it's ridiculous.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phantomryder
Usually the quality of Harley's depends on events that the company is going through. For example, when the labor issues with the York plant were happening, we noticed bikes that have had missing parts, loose parts, even oil missing from the primary cases. And when they changed their paint process, the paint issues were enormous. The plant that makes the motors is going throught the same wage process as the York plant did. Hopefully it does not affect too many motors. As for quality issues, with a good setup techinicians we were able to correct the issues before the bike hit the floor. I noticed that few new bikes have returned for warranty issues because the quality has gotten better. So as long as the dealer is correcting the issue, you win. But on the bright side, I would suggest getting the motor work done, it would be free labor install. Could save you 10 to 15 hours of labor charges.
Really? I don't think it's because of events the company is going through!! If that were the case then where was the quality assurance team?! Out to lunch I would suspect so the bad bikes could roll out the door and onto the showroom floor?!

Loose parts, missing oil, bad paint... If true, all this could be tracked back and some Harley employee's would be looking for jobs.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when bean counters run a company anything is possible. The company i used to work for decided they could save money and cut complaints. they laid off the complaint dept.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forks: Yea, all three of my bikes made chunky noises on hard bumps....you do have a spring in there, after all.

Case: Wow...yea, never heard of that before. My first Sporty had a leaky head gasket, which they admitted was due to a bad batch from their supplier, but fixed it in about an hour. Other two bikes, as well as my wife's two bikes, have had no problem at all.

Boots: I just replaced my HD brand boots, which lasted me 5 years. And the leather itself is fine, just the sole finally wore down. I may have them resoled anyway, just to keep around as a pair of work/barn/horseriding boots.