Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Forward Controls on a Heritage Softail Classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010 | 06:54 AM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Anyone have Forward Controls on a Heritage Softail Classic ?

I'm real close to buying a Heritage. I'm 6' 4 and the floorboards feel a little cramped, plus, I'm used to the Forward Controls on my old Wide Glide.

I was looking at Harley's Forward Controls, but there is a "Warning" about decreased "Turn Angle" with the Forward Controls and a risk of dragging them in a sharp turn.

I'm wondering if anyone has them on a Heritage and could comment on whether they're really that bad in the turns?

Thanks

Old 09-02-2010 | 10:52 AM
roqueweiler
Advanced

mustache with 4" footpeg drop extensions for me (kuryakyn adjustable offsets on their chrome mustache)

kept the floorboards but put a forward extender on those too (cycle visions go-forward kit)

35" inseam - no loss of steering

I can now put my heel on the floorboard and rest my toe on the footpeg on the mustache which is a very comfortable riding position.

Hope this helps

Old 09-02-2010 | 09:15 PM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by roqueweiler
mustache with 4" footpeg drop extensions for me (kuryakyn adjustable offsets on their chrome mustache)

kept the floorboards but put a forward extender on those too (cycle visions go-forward kit)

35" inseam - no loss of steering

I can now put my heel on the floorboard and rest my toe on the footpeg on the mustache which is a very comfortable riding position.

Hope this helps
Thanks, well, I just bought a 2011 Heritage with the forward control kit. I'll post some pics when I get it in about a week.

Hopefully I didn't screw up

Old 09-02-2010 | 10:52 PM
rkeith01
Advanced

TalldogsFatBob-
I just installed standard length Accutronix fwd controls on my '07 Heritage and love it. Doing this I have not decreased the "Turn Angle" and I have yet to drag them with a 2" (width) extension (although I have dragged other parts of the bike with them on, no diff than floorboards).

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have Forward Controls on a Heritage Softail Classic ?-bike_pic_left.jpg  
Old 09-03-2010 | 05:24 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

My friend has them on his Fatboy and no problems with dragging or anything for that matter

Old 09-03-2010 | 08:15 AM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys, I feel more confident in my decision now. Gonna be a long week waiting for the bike though.

Old 09-03-2010 | 07:04 PM
snowman2006
Intermediate

I'm looking at the Arlen Ness 3" extended radius forward control kit for my 06 Heritage. I'm 6' 6" and need to get some leg room. Highway pegs are great on the highway but in town my legs are bent so much I have to lift my foot right off the floorboard to get it on the brake pedal.

Anybody try the Arlen Ness kit. It's pricey so if there are any others I should be looking at let me know. This is a winter project and where I live, that gives me a long, long time to work on it.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/541-191

Old 09-03-2010 | 08:28 PM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by snowman2006
I'm looking at the Arlen Ness 3" extended radius forward control kit for my 06 Heritage. I'm 6' 6" and need to get some leg room. Highway pegs are great on the highway but in town my legs are bent so much I have to lift my foot right off the floorboard to get it on the brake pedal.

Anybody try the Arlen Ness kit. It's pricey so if there are any others I should be looking at let me know. This is a winter project and where I live, that gives me a long, long time to work on it.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/541-191
Wow, a thousand bucks for a set of Forward Controls. Makes me feel a little better about spending $319. Good luck with the project and if you get a chance, post a pic when you're done.