Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom audio setup project...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Custom audio setup project...

Any ideas???

I'm mounting a two-way set of speakers (from my old Audi) on the crash bar (engine guard), they are 4" speakers with a 1.25" thick magnet, these are really loud full-range speakers (bose) they work at 2 ohms so they require real power (I'm feeding them with a JL Audio 2 channel class D full range amp). The iPod is gonna be sending the tunes controlled by an RF remote control.

I'm gonna be building fiberglass speaker housings and they are gonna be painted in the same color as my bike, like I said, mounted on the engine guard.

My biggest issue is where in hell am I gonna tuck the amp so it doesn't ruin the bike's look (I don't have saddlebags and don't want them). I'm thinking about mounting it on a rack on the cargo grill that I have over my rear fender, but, I'd still have to camuflage the darn thing (and protect it) by some means...

Any ideas guys??? This is the amp (the smallest serious amp I've found) It is tiny, but still too big to be easily concealed (or mounted) in a bike such as mine...

Many of you know my bike, for those who doesn't, this is it:

Mimo.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:29 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

sounds good , but i dont know about the pods the same color as the bike. i saw somewhere a guy used walmart chrome fog lamps and did his speakers in them. that might look better on your bike.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:38 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

You could mount the amp somewhere on the down tubes, but you'd definitely have to have some sort of waterproof housing. It would also have the benefit of easy wiring to the speakers as well.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Just remember, hard working amps get hot. You need to ensure you have some air flow or at least some space around the amp so it can reject the waste heat....

Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a painted or chrome chin spoiler to hide the amp in? Its hard to tell by the pic, because the chrome on the headlight is blinding, but do you have the Road King nacelle on your headlight? I believe if you have that nacelle, there is some room inside there. Some guys put the ballast for HID headlights in there, or the transmitter for the HD garage door opener...nevermind, I just looked at your pictures again, the quick glance I gave it, I thought the amp was even a little smaller than it is.....

Last edited by brettnbama; 08-31-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Will the amp fit under the fork tins by the headlight? That is my thought on that. I can't wait to see the finished product Mimo. I am going to pick up my bluetooth connector that a fellow forum meber has made for my speakers tomorrow. Hopefully my bike will be fixed by then so I can test it all out!

Drew

Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM
MNFatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about using these to hide the speakers and amps?

http://www.hoggchopps.com/hoggDesign.htm

You could make them detachable.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I am going to help design some speakers a forum member is going be making due to the fact that he hates the way all premade speakers look for his ride tomorrow. Give me some suggestions guys. I need them.

Drew

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

i saw somewhere a guy used walmart chrome fog lamps and did his speakers in them
Not a bad idea, since these are air-free speakers acoustics are not important, looks are. I'll stop by the car zone and see what they have.

You could mount the amp somewhere on the down tubes
Maybe a painted or chrome chin spoiler to hide the amp in?
Will the amp fit under the fork tins by the headlight?
Not a chance, anything placed above or near the fender will ruin it when the front tire hits a bump that compresses the front suspension. My friend hanged his biker tiny bell right under the triple tree and frame joint... it caused a dent on the fender and chipped the paint.

Just remember, hard working amps get hot. You need to ensure you have some air flow or at least some space around the amp so it can reject the waste heat....
Class D amps are the cooler working kind. But still, yes venting will be important, thanks for suggesting that...

This is a though one... but if it does come out nice it will sound extremely loud and clear.

Mimo.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MNFatboy
What about using these to hide the speakers and amps?

http://www.hoggchopps.com/hoggDesign.htm

You could make them detachable.
I've played with that idea, but unfortunately there are no designs that fit '99 softails, most of the lower fairings are made for 2000 and up models or touring crash bars which are different geometrically speaking

Mimo.

Quick Reply: Custom audio setup project...