Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom audio setup project...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I have four speakers on my bike. Two on the handle bar risers and two on the engine guards. I have two amps tucked away on the bike out of sight. One in the housing on the top of the forks and one tucked under the transmission between the frame rails. I also changed the bulbs in the auxiliary lights from 27w to 55w. After adding them I went for a ride to Jasper and back which is 50 miles away. I had all the lights on and stereo on (sounds good) to see if there was any ill effects. I went in the day in case things went bad. It is a year later and still no problems anywhere.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This is good news, besides I think I'm 50% into this little project, it would be a shame to fold now, I have most of the equipment (I'm a ride away from the electronic goodies) I'll go get the amp next week while I finish the speakers array at least I want to hear the darn thing sounding

Thanks for the info SF,

Mimo.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

SF, that looks like it kicks out some serious sound! Nice! Mimo, think you should go for 4 speakers!

Drew

Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Do you have a rear view photo of the setup?

Thanks,

Mimo.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
SF, that looks like it kicks out some serious sound! Nice! Mimo, think you should go for 4 speakers!

Drew
Drew, I have 6 little monsters like the one I posted, plus the OEM audio of my truck which is BOSE too Don't push it man I liked SF's setup the smaller housings on the handlebars don't look bad at all

Mimo.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

I'll give you a few. This is from the rear. The cup holders are in front of the upper speakers.

Here is one closer. Try and ignore the cup holders.

Here is one from the side. I made a bracket and moved the horn back and mounted the volume control on the same bracket. The front **** is the volume control, the back is the stock HD horn bolt. They aren't too much different in size and I thought they went well together. Sirius radio up at the handlebar risers.

Here is a shot farther back from the side when she is all dressed up and ready to go.

I put some headlight visors on the speakers to dress them up. They looked like half of a coffee can before they were put on. I think they look better. I got some visors for the speakers on the risers but felt it was too much. Sometimes less is better.

Last edited by Silver Fox; 09-03-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:19 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Thank you very much for the extra perspectives SF, that is one well done audio setup, I really like it, and since the four channel amp is just a hair bigger than the 2 channel, I may consider the upgrade. What kind of amp are you powering the speakers with?

Thanks again, did I say I love this forum?

Mimo.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

SF, don't the cup holders block a lot of the sound?

Drew

Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

Thanks mimo. The smaller speakers on the risers and amp are the low-profile speaker system from Uniq Cycle. Not sure what the amp is, but you can check it out on their site. The speakers on the engine guards are KC light housings with speakers. The other amp is an Alpine power pack. The smaller amp is run through the alpine amp. The sound was just good enough at highway speeds with only the small amp, but adding the Alpine amp really did the trick. I'm sure your amp will put out more, it looks like it should. I have looked at a lot of amps but couldn't find any that I could put out of sight on the bike except the ones I have. I am always looking at new amps though I didn't want to mount them in my saddle bags. Sounds like you have a new idea or two, never thought of using the seat as a mounting spot. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with the look and sound when you are done. Hello DR. V-TWIN the cup holders may block some sound. I put them on before I had the tunes and we are happy with the sound as it is. There are three things that are important after we through on our gear and tent on our rides. They are our morning coffee, tunes, and an open road. For us the coffee cups have to stay . Good luck with your ride also.

Last edited by Silver Fox; 09-05-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
IAFatBoy96
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mimo. Do you have an update on your project?

Quick Reply: Custom audio setup project...