Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Loud - Options w/o Ruining it

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Splais1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Loud - Options w/o Ruining it

I just acquired a 2005 Heritage Softtail. It is equipped with the Stage I exhaust kit which includes SE II exhaust. I live in a quiet residential area with a lot of older people, the bike is just too load.

As additional info I have a Sportster that had V&H Straightshots. It was also too loud. I put the stock pipes back on with SE II slip-on mufflers and it was just right, sounded great, but not too loud.

Anyway, back to the Heritage. So what are my options here for toning it down a little and keeping the performance - if there is an option.

Am I Stuck with what I got or going back to stock - or is there something in between. thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Too Loud - Options w/o Ruining it-dsc01332.jpg  

Last edited by Splais1; 08-30-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
nova_SS
Cruiser

I have the D&D FatCat with the standard baffle and it's not loud at all. I actually wish it was a bit louder. I had V&H Longshots on another bike and to me they were loud. If I rode w/o ear plugs my ears would ring for a while.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Supertrapp SuperMeg is pretty quiet. I don't know if they are quieter than the SE pipes. Your other option is put some stock pipes back on it, or move.

Drew

Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

I belive there are 2 versions of the SE pipes. The older ones are louder than the newer ones. That may be your issue. You may just have to change the pipes. But honestly...if you're looking for quieter pipes anyway, why not just use the stock pipes and be done with it.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
BamBamm
Intermediate

To loud=To OLD LOL

Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Dog Father
Cruiser

I have SE's on my Heritage and they can be loud but they are not THAT loud compared to many other bikes. I don't know of a quieter exhaust except stock. Is it that big of a deal if you just cruise out and cruise in?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Check w/HD on swapping baffles in the existing pipes. Also, you can do some internet research on aftermarket baffles to quiet the dB's down a bit. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try Big City Thunder for baffles. i just ordered a set. I have same problem with noise bylaws. I like loud, these are supposed to lower the sound. I called V&H the tech guy recommended them.

www.bigcitythunder.com

Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree... check out Big City Thunder. I have a set of their Monster Baffles... and they are LOUD & PROUD! But, they do make a quiet version. They are called the "QQ" Series. I think it stands for Quality Quiet. Good look, and let us know what you end up doing.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have never experienced the SE slip-ons and know absolutely nuttin bout them, so I ask in ignorance. Can you remove the baffles in them? If you can, would wrapping them in fiberglass dead'n the sound? Maybe the fiberglass has burned off/out? Again, totally ignorant about these.

Quick Reply: Too Loud - Options w/o Ruining it