Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheaders vs FatcAt

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Tony-OH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderheaders vs FatcAt

Ok, I've decided to go with new pipes for my 2010 Heritage classic and have narrowed it down to the Thunderheaders vs Fatcat and I wanted to get some opinions from you all.

I'm looking for a deep throaty sound and a little more horsepower. I've heard some bad things about the TH quality of late (I want these in chrome) but I heard them on a dyna and they sounded great. I'm a little worried about the Fatcat not giving me enough "thunder."

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but a quick search didn't come up with a comparison of the two.

Should I get a tuner and high performance air cleaner at the same time?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd get a tuner and air cleaner to get the proper fuel air ratio with your new pipe. I know a lot of guys who have run Thunderheaders for years with out a problem. They will discolor, guaranteed. If sound is what you want the Thunderheader will be loud enough and most guys like the sound. The Fat Cat sound is a love it or hate it thing. The Fat Cat Quality is amazing. Everything fits very well and the heat shields fit and cover the inner pipe well. The Thunderheader is well known to produce more power in the midrange and higher end, but have a little torque dip at lower r.p.m.s. The Fat Cat makes power better at low r.p.m. and doesn't fizzle out at higher revs. I run a Fat Cat and feel the throttle response is pretty awesome. Either pipe will be a great improvement over stock properly tuned.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:23 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
I'd get a tuner and air cleaner to get the proper fuel air ratio with your new pipe. I know a lot of guys who have run Thunderheaders for years with out a problem. They will discolor, guaranteed. If sound is what you want the Thunderheader will be loud enough and most guys like the sound. The Fat Cat sound is a love it or hate it thing. The Fat Cat Quality is amazing. Everything fits very well and the heat shields fit and cover the inner pipe well. The Thunderheader is well known to produce more power in the midrange and higher end, but have a little torque dip at lower r.p.m.s. The Fat Cat makes power better at low r.p.m. and doesn't fizzle out at higher revs. I run a Fat Cat and feel the throttle response is pretty awesome. Either pipe will be a great improvement over stock properly tuned.
That was pretty accurate and unbiased comparison. I commend you for it!
That said I like my TH. Get any pipe chrome pipe hot enough and it will discolor. I have had no quality issues with my pipe in 10,000 miles...

Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Wpittman
Cruiser

kinda on the fence on the 2 into 1 thing myself with the fatcat, thunder header, v&h pro pipe being primary choices.. I am also considering the rinehart 2 into 2 staggards, not the crossflow, just think they look kinda funky. If you go with the fatcat give DR Vtwin on here a shout, he will give ya a great price!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I can get you any of these pipes at a great price. I prefer the fatcat,but the TH has been known to get good results as well. Although, quality is not that of a fatcat. Northside also knows that D&D is a great company to work with. Customer service friendly all the way. Leonard is the man!.

Drew

Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,033 Likes on 5,304 Posts

Thunderheaders have always had a great sound, but their long-term quality have always been suspect, especially regarding discoloring and rusting of the chrome. Subjectively, I also prefer the sound of the Fatcat -- it isn't as loud as the Thunderheader, but it has a deep throaty quality at idle and will really bark at WOT (wide open throttle). Each has its fans, but I voted for the Fatcat a few years ago and have never regretted the choice.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my TH for over 8 years now, no blueing, chipping, or any other manufacturing issue. I absolutely would put them again (I'd get true duals with Thunderheaders slip-ons next time just to see the sound difference, disregarding the power loss vs a 2-1 system).

Yes, it is highly reccomended that you upgrade your intake as you upgrade your exhaust.

Good luck with your decision, I only wish you bike was carburated, can't beat the sound of an evolution carburated engine at idle....

Check how those design lines flow with the bike:

A wider angle:

Mimo.

Last edited by mimo; 08-30-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Tony-OH
Intermediate

As usual, great replies guys, thanks. I think I may edge towards the Fatcat because I like the looks of them a bit better, but I'm still worried about the sound. Anyone know of any videos where I could get a listen? I know it's not the ultimate way of doing it but I want to make this decision rather quickly. I've heard the thunderheaders live and they sound great.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There you go, it sounds quite nice actually (you would have to hear them live thou) and that is how a carbed engine sounds... blisssssss... And that is a heritage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBE8BDO-Td8

Mimo.

Quick Reply: Thunderheaders vs FatcAt